• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A call for VCF assistance

Erik

Site Administrator
Staff member
The Vintage Computer Festival 6.0 (per this thread) is fast approaching and I'd like to have a display again this year.

Unfortunately, fate has dealt me a bit of a blow and I will not be able to retrieve the bulk of my collection from storage before the event.

I am, therefore, forced to put together some sort of display that makes sense out of the collection I have in-house. Those machines are:

• Altair 8800
    Altair 8800BT
    two disk drives for the Altairs plus software and documentation (some, anyway)
    Altos ACS 8000-2 (CP/M w/some software)
    Commodore Pet 2001-8 (chicklet keys) - working with software, etc.
    TRS-80 Model I with 1 disk drive, some software
    Telcon Zorba in like-new condition w/original software but nothing much else
    Commodore Vic-20 with a little software
    A small pile of S-100 systems with a variety of operating systems, none of which yet work (time isn't something I have a lot of! :D)

My default display would be the Altair running a few old games (Hunt the Wumpus type stuff) but I'd like to have at least two machines on display. I just can't think of a theme that joins any of them other then "computers from 1977 and before" or "Old Junk from my Closet."

I really wanted to do a "milestones" theme again with the Apple ][ running VisiCalc added to my display but that's not gonna happen.

Any ideas would be welcome!

Erik

Failing input here I just winged it and came up with the following:

Display - Early Personal Computers

I just selected from the oldest of the machines I have on hand.

The three machines will be:

• Altair 8800 w/2 88-DCDD 8" drives running a Heathkit H19 terminal.
    Commodore Pet 2001-8
    TRS-80 Model 1 w/1 5.25" floppy, etc.

Each machine will be running "vintage" game software typical of what was available around the time it was most popular.

I'll have similar supporting materials to last years display.

Erik

Dream dream.. can this PET run Star Trek?

This is what my math teacher showed me in about 1979, and got me hooked..

Back