• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

A flake to avoid on ebay

curtis

Veteran Member
Just finished an agonizing transaction with maxxdoo.

Auction finished on 23 Oct and paid a day later.

Waited a week, nothing.

One more week. Still nothing. Sent email asking for shipping info. No response.

2 days later. Sent another email requesting shipping info. Nada. Sent another email via Outlook requesting date/time read. Nothing!

Couple of more emails just to see if he was having a bad couple of weeks. ZIP!

Finally started a transaction dispute and got paypal involved. User finally went to the post office and mailed item on 7 Nov. Received 9 Nov.

Left neutral response because the item was good, but his handling of the transaction was pitiful.

Received retaliatory negative feedback from this guy! WTF??????????????

So, if you can, avoid this guy like the plague!!!

Curtis

p.s. Hey Erik, maybe we should have a forum for deadbeat ebay'ers since this is becoming the primary method for collectors to obtain stuff! Hopefully, I won't be in it... :cool:

p.s. Hey Erik, maybe we should have a forum for deadbeat ebay'ers since this is becoming the primary method for collectors to obtain stuff! Hopefully, I won't be in it... :cool:

I'm not sure a dedicated forum is needed, but adding to this thread would work - for now, at least.

Anyone else know of any deadbeats?

Please only post about transactions that you were directly involved in and only post the facts. No need to get personal or to risk libel.

Let's not turn this into a rant thread. If you have somebody specific that you'd like to point out, do so in a clearly written an non-libelous paragraph. Otherwise, let's not all chip on how bad buyers/sellers on eBay can be.

Edit:

Since this thread is now sticky and it will persist, to keep it readable I'm going to prune anything that looks like ranting. Feel free to post your factual story about eBay morons, but don't editorialize too much.

Last edited:
Picked one of these up on ebay. Yes, maxxdoo FINALLY sent it after threatening action.

Anyway, installed it in my Amiga 500 and hooked up a VGA monitor. No joy.

I'm assuming I need some driver software to enable this. Yes/No?

Can someone help me out here? I don't have an Amiga hooked up to the internet, so probably the best thing would be snail mail. I'm in Burleson, Tx and would be willing to cover costs.

OS is Workbench 1.3 Motherboard rev is 6A.

Curtis

You too eh? I joined here just to share my expeience with you.

I bought mine off maxdoo on Oct 1, 2006. I had nothing as of the end of Oct.

I had to actually start the claims process on PayPal before he even shipped the thing on Nov 6, 2006.

Mine just arrived an hour ago. Now I'm gung-ho to get home and try this thing. My precious 1084s blew up two days after I hooked my A500 back up in Sept. It was either spend the money on this thing or get the monitor fixed.

It will be nice to use the A500 on a VGA monitor. I also got lucky in that a friend of mine just gave me his old PC speakers so I have sound taken care of too.

Amiga Forever!!! lol.....

Just ran a check to see if mr. maxxdoo was doing anything on ebay and discovered he's no longer a registered user.

Wonder if it was his idea to give it up or if he was "invited" off by ebay???

Curtis

Here's another ebay'er that doesn't seem to have a clue.

[h=1]korodit
s.gif
[/h]
I don't think he's deliberately bad, but he's terribly uninformed.

Bid on an auction for an Amiga 500+. Won it and paid what was claimed was the total plus shipping. 3-4 days later he messages me saying he hasn't gotten my payment. Check paypal, seems he's listed a different email address. Cancel that payment and am about to send a new payment to the email he says is correct when I get ANOTHER email saying shipping is going to be $70 as opposed to $24 as posted on the auction.

Grumble...

Paid it.

Wait...

Wait...

Another email to him as THIS payment is ALSO unclaimed! He finally claims the payment.

Today I receive ANOTHER email from him stating shipping is now going to be $90! He does offer to refund my payment and basically cancel out the whole transaction.

All through the email swaps he's claiming he didn't have any plans of selling it internationally, but only in his country of Hungary.

With my final email agreeing to cancel the transaction, I explain to him to change his preferences AND his paypal account!

This fellow is clueless and for the immediate future, don't get involved with him!

I am often a "foreign" buyer or seller. Local practices can be different - eg US sellers who insist on $50+ courier delivery for a tiny, non-fragile, non-urgent item. Are they getting kickbacks? In some countries, the post office rates may be unpredictable as well, if the local clerk is in a position to demand a "premium" to accept the item and process it...

CAVEAT EMPTOR is always relevant.

Rick

I am often a "foreign" buyer or seller. Local practices can be different - eg US sellers who insist on $50+ courier delivery for a tiny, non-fragile, non-urgent item. Are they getting kickbacks? In some countries, the post office rates may be unpredictable as well, if the local clerk is in a position to demand a "premium" to accept the item and process it...

CAVEAT EMPTOR is always relevant.

Rick

I used to ship internationally all the time, but no more.
I 've been burned twice in the past year, with the last one being someone in the UK who purchased an item which I mailed the next day via USPS First Class Mail International Package.
The buyer contacts me after 28 days saying they haven't received it, and they want a refund.
I check with the post office, and there's no tracking for items in the UK via the way I sent it.
I refund the buyer's purchase price plus the shipping, and then three weeks later the package comes back to me with a sticker on it saying there was 11 pounds duty on it, and it was "not called for".
Essentially, the guy decided he didn't wat to pay the duty his country was going to charge, so I ended up getting screwed out of the cost of international shipping.

How can a seller protect himself when there's no record of delivery?
If you have something shipped to Australia, how can the seller prove it ever got there if there's no signature required?
And you can only get the signature with the premium services.

For me it's now only USPS Global Express Mail or UPS/FedEx for international shipping (IE: something that gets me a signature that the thing has been delivered or delivery was attempted).
One bad apple spoiled the lot.

Ok, it's official, korodit is a thief!

After a couple of weeks and no response or refund, I've had to file a complaint on him. He hasn't responded to the complaint as of today and I'll probably have to escalate on 2 Feb.

Well after opening cases in both ebay and paypal, then escalating to claim it appears the jerk has finally issued a refund.

However, the refund is pending getting the money from his bank account.

To quote the ever-wise Bugs Bunny, "What a maroon!"

Pay using a credit card (Paypal), they will just credit you and go after the seller. The only time I use cash is when I have some in my Paypal account or the item is just a few dollars.

Got another deadbeat.

customsg

Sold him/she/it an Amiga software package for a whopping 99 cents! Never paid. Opened a case about a month ago with ebay. Of course, all they did was try to contact the loser.

Totally not worth the trouble.

Got another deadbeat.

customsg

Sold him/she/it an Amiga software package for a whopping 99 cents! Never paid. Opened a case about a month ago with ebay. Of course, all they did was try to contact the loser.

Totally not worth the trouble.

If the buyer isn't responding, you can escalate the case to eBay staff, and they'll refund your listing fee and close the case.

The only problems i've had with ebay/paypal are as a seller. Buyer protection is quite good with paypal, but as a seller, you are truly at the mercy of the buyer. They can always say they didn't receive the item, or that it wasn't as described, and paypal will always side with them.

Sure there are some bad ebay sellers, but the vast majority of issues have to come from buyers who are trying to bilk the system in order to get goods for free or for as little as possible.

The only problems i've had with ebay/paypal are as a seller. Buyer protection is quite good with paypal, but as a seller, you are truly at the mercy of the buyer. They can always say they didn't receive the item, or that it wasn't as described, and paypal will always side with them.

Sure there are some bad ebay sellers, but the vast majority of issues have to come from buyers who are trying to bilk the system in order to get goods for free or for as little as possible.

I'm hearing that more and more. I've even heard one guy say that Ebay/Paypal will refund the buyer's money and the buyer is under no obligation to send the item back! I keep hoping that's not really true. As an occasional seller, that makes me really nervous!

I'm hearing that more and more. I've even heard one guy say that Ebay/Paypal will refund the buyer's money and the buyer is under no obligation to send the item back! I keep hoping that's not really true. As an occasional seller, that makes me really nervous!

I don't want to take this thread too far off track. However, I would like to say that I feel for the sellers here, but that nevertheless there is a dilemma for the buyers too. Ebay is not making this easy. I recently bought an item and it was damaged in transit so that it was only good for parts - and parts is not what I wanted. I spoke with the seller who had no immediate solution other than to file a claim of "not as described". I did that and Ebay promptly refunded all my money including shipping. Now I still have the item and don't want to spend over $60 to send it back unless the seller requests it and I have some assurance that I will be refunded the $60. This is clearly a fault in the Ebay system which puts both buyer and seller in a bind.

This is why I prefer to sell through Vintage Computer Forum / AmiBay / CPU World / Talk Retro / Quest Studios and so on. Plus I always buy insurance. There is too much risk for buyer fraud on eBay.

delboy2706 is another one to avoid

-re-used another seller's pictures and description
-said the item was already with FedEx before the auction closed, as an excuse to not take any moe pictures (huh?)
-refused to accept PayPal despite it being an option on the listing (it's mandatory on ebay UK)
-sent a phishing email to my paypal address asking for a bank transfer (using the address: "ebay@ebay.co.uk <euro-trans-ltd@consultant.com>")

I wouldn't normally bother posting information about a buyer here, but this kid , micwal.vx2bql, deserves it. He won my auction for an IBM PC, then sent this message the next day:

Sir/Madam,

I was really astonished by the condition of the 5150 and I'm really excited that I won! I will be going to the bank in the morning to deposit the money and complete the transaction; my apologies about the wait. I normally do my best to pay the day-of, but like all things sometimes things go a muck. Please don't send the item until I pay for it; I don't want this to seem like I'm asking you to do that. I just wanted to explain so that you didn't get antsy about it not being paid for yet. I expect things to go smoothly and hope in the future I don't have to send such a message to you or anyone else again. If you find that you don't want to wait it is perfectly reasonable for you to make a claim to eBay and relist the item. I accept all responsibility for this and it is your right to not have to wait for me.

Thank you, and again my deepest apologies about the delay,

Michael

I waited a few days before asking about the payment, and he didn't even bother to respond. I sent 2 more messages, both polite, asking if there was a problem or if he tried to send payment. No response, but I did notice from his feedback that he had bought something else on ebay after winning my auction and promising payment, so he is still active. In case he decides to use another ebay account or shows up here on this forum, his name is Michael Wallin and he is apparently a student at University of Wisconsin, Plattsville, since his shipping address is to one of the student dorms.

Back