• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

A flake to avoid on ebay

...If you find that you don't want to wait it is perfectly reasonable for you to make a claim to eBay and relist the item. I accept all responsibility for this and it is your right to not have to wait for me.

If he had just said "I've got to put money into PayPal, Please give me a day or 2" I'd believe him. It looks like he's hoping you will relist. I do wish people would just say they don't want the item. The eBay process can take ages for non paying bidders.

I wouldn't have been as upset if he had just been honest. I once had a guy bid a generic 386 I was selling up to nearly $600, and then immediately sent me a message saying that he got carried away and did not have that kind of money. His feedback count was 4 or 5, and he was new to ebay. Since he was honest with me and helped get the deal cancelled so I could sell it on a second chance offer right away, you won't see his name here. He admitted he goofed and took responsibility. This kid I'm dealing with now has no sense of responsibility and can not be trusted.

he may still be trying to scrape together the money (college student, probably new to managing their own money) and is embarrassed to contact you again until he has. eBay does go out of its way to inform buyers that bids are binding contracts and cannot be backed out of, so this kid may not realize that adults can choose to make their own rules regardless of what eBay says.

or maybe he's a flake. it's often hard to know.

I never have patience for people that do not pay right away. No matter what their story may or may not be.

he may still be trying to scrape together the money (college student, probably new to managing their own money) and is embarrassed to contact you again until he has. eBay does go out of its way to inform buyers that bids are binding contracts and cannot be backed out of, so this kid may not realize that adults can choose to make their own rules regardless of what eBay says.

or maybe he's a flake. it's often hard to know.

No, he said he was going to deposit the money the next morning. Either way he's a liar.

Ebay sellers should have received a notice of a change in policy by now. Essentially, eBay will collect a fee on any item that's listed on their site and is offered for sale on other sites, even if the item doesn't sell.

That ought to raise some hackles. I wonder what the folks who sell through both Amazon and eBay will do? I'll confess to finding something on eBay that I want and then checking Amazon for the same thing at a better price, offered by the same seller. It happens often.

Ebay sellers should have received a notice of a change in policy by now. Essentially, eBay will collect a fee on any item that's listed on their site and is offered for sale on other sites, even if the item doesn't sell.

That ought to raise some hackles. I wonder what the folks who sell through both Amazon and eBay will do? I'll confess to finding something on eBay that I want and then checking Amazon for the same thing at a better price, offered by the same seller. It happens often.

I read the new policy, and that only applies to items where the deal was mad through ebay and the actual sale happens off of ebay to avoid fees. For example, you get a an offer for an item, accept by message without actually "accepting" the offer, make the deal off of ebay and then cancel the order to avoid fees. The new policy specifically allows items to be offered elsewhere and auctions to be ended early to sell in another venue. They have too many sellers using them and Amazon to risk a mass exodus. They also filter all messages, so I assume that is what they would use to catch people.

Just finished an agonizing transaction with maxxdoo.

Auction finished on 23 Oct and paid a day later.

Waited a week, nothing.

One more week. Still nothing. Sent email asking for shipping info. No response.

2 days later. Sent another email requesting shipping info. Nada. Sent another email via Outlook requesting date/time read. Nothing!

Couple of more emails just to see if he was having a bad couple of weeks. ZIP!

Finally started a transaction dispute and got paypal involved. User finally went to the post office and mailed item on 7 Nov. Received 9 Nov.

Left neutral response because the item was good, but his handling of the transaction was pitiful.

Received retaliatory negative feedback from this guy! WTF??????????????

So, if you can, avoid this guy like the plague!!!

Curtis

p.s. Hey Erik, maybe we should have a forum for deadbeat ebay'ers since this is becoming the primary method for collectors to obtain stuff! Hopefully, I won't be in it... :cool:

this user doesn't even exist. also this was over a decade ago...

I can't believe nobody here has had a bad transaction in over three years that they wanted to warn people about.

I can't say I've run into too many flakes in the last three years so much as people skimping on packing but that is an entirely different thing.

It happens both ways. Just today I had a seller cancel the entire auction that had 4 different people bidding, presumably because they weren't happy with the prices they were seeing. I've also had sellers cancel the auction AFTER I won.

I still get the occasional seller listing one thing (text and pictures) and sending something different.

Really? Why? Do they like paying double shipping (back and forth) before refunding you?

Most people just refund you and call it a day but the last one did pay to get their item back and I did ship it (with some packing they didn't bother to use).

I don't get why they would post pictures of a LTO-3 drive along with the text stating it is a LTO-3 drive and ship me a VLS DLT drive and think I would not notice.

Most people just refund you and call it a day but the last one did pay to get their item back and I did ship it (with some packing they didn't bother to use).

I don't get why they would post pictures of a LTO-3 drive along with the text stating it is a LTO-3 drive and ship me a VLS DLT drive and think I would not notice.

Well some people are just incapable of being organized (lazy). I bought a Commodore 64 character rom from a seller, he sent me the kernel ROM. Hasn't replied to my emails yet. I would assume he sells different things and doesn't keep track and mis-shipped. Someone else probably got my character ROM. I wont be too upset is he makes good on it and soon. To be honest I made the same mistake on an expensive Thyratron Tube. I had to paypal the receiver (sent to wrong person) in good faith they would re ship for me.. And thankfully they did.

My latest misadventure in eBay is for an APC UPS. This was huge rack mount 60LB beast. The seller "tight packed" it with pieces of brown butcher paper and the big air bubble sacks/bags Amazon uses. Oh and a piece of thin card board on the bottom of the box. Can't forget the thin piece of cardboard - the whole superstructure of the box was held together by that piece of cardboard. As one can imagine the unit, on the first tumble off of the FedEx conveyor belt, popped all the air bags. After that it was just tumbling around in the box. It came shattered with the metal bent and destroyed. I contacted the seller with pictures and the only response I got was "it is on FedEx". So the time ran out on the eBay money back guarantee forced waiting period, escalated case, and the thing went back with a prepaid shipping PRIORITY label courtesy of eBay (at the seller's expense). According to the USPS the return label cost as much as I paid for the unit. Oh well. At least I don't have to dispose of the batteries in a responsible way.

My latest misadventure in eBay is for an APC UPS. This was huge rack mount 60LB beast. The seller "tight packed" it with pieces of brown butcher paper and the big air bubble sacks/bags Amazon uses. Oh and a piece of thin card board on the bottom of the box. Can't forget the thin piece of cardboard - the whole superstructure of the box was held together by that piece of cardboard. As one can imagine the unit, on the first tumble off of the FedEx conveyor belt, popped all the air bags. After that it was just tumbling around in the box. It came shattered with the metal bent and destroyed. I contacted the seller with pictures and the only response I got was "it is on FedEx". So the time ran out on the eBay money back guarantee forced waiting period, escalated case, and the thing went back with a prepaid shipping PRIORITY label courtesy of eBay (at the seller's expense). According to the USPS the return label cost as much as I paid for the unit. Oh well. At least I don't have to dispose of the batteries in a responsible way.

It simply amazes me how often this happens. I even take the time to respectfully ask sellers to package heavy vintage items very well and I'll even send more shipping money to accomplish this if needed. I scored a CM-11 monitor for $100 about 6 months ago. It came completely destroyed. I was so upset. The seller said, "looks like mishandling by the carrier". It had ZERO packaging. Just thrown in a box. eBay had to step in and issue a return label and refund.

It simply amazes me how often this happens. I even take the time to respectfully ask sellers to package heavy vintage items very well and I'll even send more shipping money to accomplish this if needed. I scored a CM-11 monitor for $100 about 6 months ago. It came completely destroyed. I was so upset. The seller said, "looks like mishandling by the carrier". It had ZERO packaging. Just thrown in a box. eBay had to step in and issue a return label and refund.

We could start a thread about just monitors/CRT's arriving destroyed. HAppened at least 6 times to me in 2020. Same, I always ask them to ship it a particular way. They sure "sure" and do it thier way; all wrong and improper/no padding.

Back