• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A new G888 manchester read/write module

Which they are on all DEC systems.

But sure, I don't know about LINCtape. That might be a different trick.

LINCtape mark track format isn't symetrical. DECtape mark tracks can be read in either direction
which DEC patented #3387293

That's why other people who made drives had to be LINCtape compatible

Almost there!

I got the TD8E cable replacement to work! Those two boards replaces the M960/M961/5xG888 board and connects to the TD8E thru a 40-pin ribbon cable.

Some tweeks were needed on the data connector board to get it going. Some are my faults and some are DEC's. There will be a new version made with fixes for the errors. I have also made a command connector board for the TU55, but I haven't tested those yet.

I found an error in the DEC-00-HRTC-D_TU56_Mantenance_Manual_Jan73.pdf on page 60. The signals is corrected in the drawing below. Has anybody found this before? I measured in the backplane of the drive...
DEC-00-HRTC-D_TU56_Mantenance_Manual_Jan73-60.png

Pictures of the boards:
M961-G888-data-connector-board-top.jpg

M961-G888-data-connector-board-bottom.jpg

M960-command-connector-board-top-TU56.jpg

M960-command-connector-board-bottom-TU56.jpg

Thanks!

I started to test with TU55 drive today, but the tape doesn't move. I suspect a malfunctioning drive. I'll try another one tomorrow.

I got the same error with another drive. I found that I had inverted the "ALL HALT" signal... It moves now! I haven't ran the read/write test yet.

This might be the first time a TU55 is used with TD8E!

I got a pass with the read/write test the other day with my TU55 drive! I have updated the schematics and board layout with corrections for the mistakes that I found. I will order the new version of the "data connector board". If some one is interested in this project (getting boards), now is the time to tell!

Pictures of "command connector board" for TU55
M960-command-connector-board-top-TU55.jpg

M960-command-connector-board-bottom-TU55.jpg

Back