• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

A nice XT style case for 286 build

Overmann

Experienced Member
Hi there,

I recently bought a 286 but it arrived completely crushed.
Somehow the PSU seem to have survived so I am looking for a case to put the PSU in so that I can build a 286. I am looking for one of those cases with the big flip switch in the rear of the side (like the IBM 5160).

IBM 5160

I'm not concerned with brand so if you have a spare case that fit's the description please don't hesitate to contact me. I don't think I need a PSU, as the one I have might still be alive.

Hi there,

I recently bought a 286 but it arrived completely crushed.
Somehow the PSU seem to have survived so I am looking for a case to put the PSU in so that I can build a 286. I am looking for one of those cases with the big flip switch in the rear of the side (like the IBM 5160).

IBM 5160

I'm not concerned with brand so if you have a spare case that fit's the description please don't hesitate to contact me. I don't think I need a PSU, as the one I have might still be alive.

I have one that I could sell you, but shipping from Cali would be... unreasonable I think, especially with the way I like to pack things in boxes for shipping.

EDIT: Just did a quick and dirty shipping estimate on the USPS website. Best guess is shipping would be something like $100 - $200 to get it to Norway.

I don't know if I want to go with something THAT reasonable. I think my main criteria is that it's a nice looking, complete and intact case.

I have one that I could sell you, but shipping from Cali would be... unreasonable I think, especially with the way I like to pack things in boxes for shipping.

EDIT: Just did a quick and dirty shipping estimate on the USPS website. Best guess is shipping would be something like $100 - $200 to get it to Norway.

That is a lot to be sure. No alterative company that might be able to do it for less?

Yes, I already did that ebay search. The first of the latvian cases you sent first is the only one that I feel fit the description of 5160-like, and as with lutiana's case shipping from US is often around $150. I was hoping some users might have well cared for cases that didn't end up with $150 shipping. I might consider a fixer upper if it was spot on aesthetically (which is hugely subjective, I know, but something like these: https://bit.ly/2EmcZrO, https://bit.ly/2QyB9qi)

I'd like to avoid bent or broken plastic or rust. :p

EDIT: Perhaps I should have written XT/AT-style case. I would really like the big flippy power button on the back of the side panel.

Last edited:
Yes, I already did that ebay search. The first of the latvian cases you sent first is the only one that I feel fit the description of 5160-like, and as with lutiana's case shipping from US is often around $150. I was hoping some users might have well cared for cases that didn't end up with $150 shipping. I might consider a fixer upper if it was spot on aesthetically (which is hugely subjective, I know, but something like these: https://bit.ly/2EmcZrO, https://bit.ly/2QyB9qi)

I'd like to avoid bent or broken plastic or rust. :p

EDIT: Perhaps I should have written XT/AT-style case. I would really like the big flippy power button on the back of the side panel.

A thought: if this is a full-sized AT/286 motherboard it won't fit in a PC/XT case anyway. On the other hand, if it's baby AT format, you're good. :)

A thought: if this is a full-sized AT/286 motherboard it won't fit in a PC/XT case anyway. On the other hand, if it's baby AT format, you're good. :)

It's a baby, thank god! :) The case had bent all around it, but somehow the motherboard was not bent. I have not tested it yes, but it LOOKS good, and the PSU works fine :)
Is it's a baby AT most cases will work and I have considered other options, but I really like those big roomy cases, with the big red flip-switches for power. :)

Too bad you're in Norway (for shipping purposes). :)

I have a 5 bay (2 hidden bays) desktop case. This 5 steel bay case is really heavy!!! It's like a Humvee. It can accommodate a full sized AT board with an internal FH hard drive (or two HH drives) and three external drives. I also have an IBM 192 Watt 'big red flip' PSU for it.

But I'm sure shipping this case would be a deal breaker. $120 - $150. Probably ~ $175 with the PSU in it.

I'm still looking for one of these. Now I understand that most of the users here live in the united states and that shipping would be outragous, but I'm hoping there might be a European here with a nice case that he/she's willing to sell.

That is one of the worst, if not the worst, destruction of a shipped metal computer case I've ever seen. Did you receive any explanation of how it got that damaged? Were you completely compensated for the damage?

Yes, it is quite astonishing. No explanation was ever given but after two months of hassle a refund wa issued by DHL. Surprisingly the motherboard survived though the controller card, the 5.25" floppy drive and the case obviously did not. :(

Back