• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A PET storage option

Glad that it's working for you! And thanks for the information.
The board cutting is definitely the most difficult part. Glad you got through it okay.
I didn't know about the volume label issue, and I will look into what would cause that. In the meantime I will post this on the website.
Have fun with it!

Hi again gubbish

Just a quick question, I have an ieee 488 interface for my C64.
Would the pet disk work if connected with this or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I'm not sure, but I think it would probably work as long as the IEEE488 signaling for the C64 interface was the same as for the PET. Does it have the same sort of edge connector as on the PET?
It's probably worth a try to see what happens, although I have never tested this and can't say for sure.

Hi gubbish,

Yes it has an edge connector for the c64 cartridge port and the other side is an edge
connector for the ieee 488 devices like the sfd-1001 and 8250lp. I had it with my sx-64
but have not used it yet with any peripherals.

I got my PETdisk a few days ago and just had time today to give it a try. I'm happy to report that it worked on the first try!
I hooked mine up to an 8296D machine, which has the internal drives set as device 8. I had the PETdisk as device 9 with a Kingston 2GB microSD card formatted as FAT32, filled with about 300 PET games (about 1.6MB in total). It's great to have them all available at once. Fantastic device! Thanks!!!

Steve

I'm also happy to report the PETdisk works fine on the B128 and also a C64 with RTC Link IEEE interface. If anyone wants PETdisk tested with specific machines or setups let me know.

Steve

Mike Stein and I had a chance to play with the PETdisk at the TPUG meeting tonight. We found a few things. First, the BASIC4 commands like CATALOG, DLOAD, and DSAVE don't work, and we figured out that this is because a "0:" is automatically added to the filenames. So, LOAD"GAME",8 works but DLOAD"GAME" doesn't because DLOAD is looking for "0:GAME". So basically, parse that out and that will solve that problem. The second issue is loading games with long filenames seems to fail and this could be because DOS filenames are automatically saved with a short filename to be 8.3 format compatible, so "LONGFILENAME.PRG" becomes "LONGFI~1.PRG" and you must be trying to load that. Unfortunately the PET has no "~" character....

I hope this helps. Looking forward to seeing this unit evolve. Everyone at the TPUG meeting were impressed with the unit.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Glad the people at the meeting enjoyed the PETdisk. Thanks for the information about how the BASIC4 DLOAD command works, that sounds like a simple fix. Definitely added the the growing list of items for firmware upgrades.
For the long filenames, actually I am looking in the FAT32 long file name entries which precede a file's main entry in the directory structure. FAT32 has a fairly strange way of storing long filenames in order to maintain compatibility with FAT, where the filename is chopped up and put into various bytes which can span several directory entries. Basically as I walk through the directory structure, I'm assembling the long filename, and checking against the name the user has requested to load. I have so far been able to load files with long filenames but you may have found an issue I am not aware of. Can you tell me some specific files that failed to load? If so I can check why they are failing. I considered at first just converting long filenames to 8.3 like "LONGFI~1.PRG" but then you can't really differentiate between files with the same prefix easily.

The information definitely helps, thanks again. Will do my best to get some improvements and updates out there.

I'm enjoying my Petdisk too ;)

Steve, thank you so much for the ZIP file full of .PRG (thumbs_up). It will be very easy to put them on the micro SDcard and they are in english :D

I own several files (german) .D64 or .D80 or .D82 : disk images for 2031, 8050 or 8250 devices. I see all their contents in VICE but how to easily put their contents on the SD card ? I don't really know VICE and how to export all the .PRG to the PetDisk SD card ?

any help ?

There is a command line tool called c1541 that is included with VICE. It will open disk images and write out individual files. There also are a bunch of GUI applications doing the same, but I don't know how many of them handle .D80 etc images. Also locate cbmconvert, another command line tool that has a lot of conversion options.

Glad you like the pet games!

Yes, I used my own CBMXfer program as an interface to the C1541 utility from VICE. C1581 supports D80 and D82 images, so CBMXfer does as well.

Steve

I see all their contents in VICE but how to easily put their contents on the SD card ? I don't really know VICE and how to export all the .PRG to the PetDisk SD card ?

In VICE, click on SETTINGS, PERIPHERAL SETTING, DRIVE 8, DIRECTORY and browse to where the SD drive is located. Uncheck READ and WRITE P00 files as you want VICE to save in .prg format.

In VICE, click on FILE, ATTACH DISK IMAGE, DRIVE 9, and point to where the disk images are. Click ATTACH.

load programs one at a time.

LOAD"name",9
SAVE"name.prg",8

Keep files names on SD drive in the 8.3 format.

I was thinking about putting up some PET software on the bitfixer.com website, to give people something to play with when they are using the PETdisk..
Steve, if you don't mind I can put the PET games up there, and if anyone has any good PET software they would like to share, send me a message and I'll put it up.

If anyone has interest in hacking around with the PETdisk firmware, the code and schematics are up on the website now. Right now I'm working on a firmware update which I hope to have ready by the end of this week or early next. New features will be wildcard support, and at least partial support of BASIC 4.0 commands. These have been requested several times so I thought I would start there.

I was thinking about putting up some PET software on the bitfixer.com website, to give people something to play with when they are using the PETdisk..
Steve, if you don't mind I can put the PET games up there, and if anyone has any good PET software they would like to share, send me a message and I'll put it up.

If anyone has interest in hacking around with the PETdisk firmware, the code and schematics are up on the website now. Right now I'm working on a firmware update which I hope to have ready by the end of this week or early next. New features will be wildcard support, and at least partial support of BASIC 4.0 commands. These have been requested several times so I thought I would start there.

Sure, you can post them. The more places the better.

Looking forward to using the CATALOG and DLOAD commands ;-)

Steve

Back