• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A Plethora of Vintage Computer Ads...

80sFreak

Experienced Member
Go here. Personally I think that the person who wrote the article is a wanker for making fun of and putting down the older computers as compared to what we have today. :(

Cheers,

80sFreak

Hm, did Texas Instruments TV commercials as late as 1983? That Bill Cosby campaign must've been one of the last ones they did before they stopped producing the TI-99/4A. I hope they didn't blame him for the final cut.

I'm living in a country with state owned public service (non-commercial) TV. We didn't get cable TV until 1985 or so, and the foreign channels (Sky Channel, Super Channel, Ghorizont, French TV5 and so on) didn't advertise home computers. This concept of old home computer and video game commercials is new to me. Of course in the past 10 years or so, there are Dell, Apple and other commercials on TV.

However, I still remember a commercial for Ajax (the detergent) that was run frequently on Sky Channel: (spoken) "Xaja .. Xaja diuqil". It came from the shiny reflection on the floor after cleaning it. It may be one of my first and most memorable references in TV commercials. Movie commercials is something else, we've had those since the 1950'ties or so.

I think that the person who wrote the article is a wanker for making fun of and putting down the older computers as compared to what we have today.
I agree. People have to realize that If It wasn't for the "old computers," The "new computers," would not be here today. They should show more respect.

Back