• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A super sweet monitor find

Alabamarebel1861

Experienced Member
About two hours ago I went to my local thrift store to see about finding an old e-Machine desktop or something. I left the store empty handed but figured I try my luck with the throw-aways out back. There I found a box for an old 17" CRT monitor from maybe the early 2000s... But what I found inside was sooooo much better.
Inside. I found a 20" Hitachi (cornerstone branded) CRT monitor dated 1996. It supports up to a smashing 2048x1536 @70Hz and it's as bright as a new CRT. The box had "almost new" written on it in sharpy and I think that they were indeed referring to this monitor rather than whatever monitor it was on the box. I've been looking for one of these 20/21" CRT displays for at least 5 years now. Oh boy is this one glorious.

Wow. Congrats on the find. I didn't realize thrift stores would let people go through "throw away" stuff.

Wow. Congrats on the find. I didn't realize thrift stores would let people go through "throw away" stuff.

In America we call that dumpster diving :)

There's probably some thrift store employee right now that is pissed that his monitor is not sitting in the dumpster waiting for him!

In America we call that dumpster diving :)

There's probably some thrift store employee right now that is pissed that his monitor is not sitting in the dumpster waiting for him!

lol that's a funny thing to picture but no. I struck up a deal with the store manager some 4 odd years ago that basically any CRT is mine to take if I want it. Since I spend like half of all my money at his store it's the least he could do lol

Back