• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

A tale of 3 CGA monitors - help wanted fixing them

JonnyGators

Experienced Member
CGA monitors are not exactly easy to come by. And even harder to come by in still working condition.

I have the following:

Sysdynei CD 1343. I really want this one working and stable. This model has a main power button on the back, and a 2nd power button on the front. The back button is the main power, it needs to be on to use the front button, that turns the display on and off. When I received it, I could power it on with the back button, press the front button, and get the clicking sound of it turning on, and turning off. But no picture on the tube. I opened it to look for any obvious things, couldn't find anything, put it back together carefully, and now the front controls do nothing. Not sure if I missed a connection, or disturbed something so that a poor connection isn't connected now, or if it's just the same problem but gone further. But, the main power does still power it on and off - I get the familiar ticking sounds of it turning off from that back button, which I know is normal for this model as once upon a time I had a working one.

Amdek 722. Turns on - extremely blurry picture. Possibly could be adjusted from the inside? Probably needs more than just a focus adjustment though, the picture really looks awful. Would be a shame for it to continue collecting dust if it could be fixed up and used by someone.

Casper HD-55. My only working CGA monitor at this time. Vertical hold is a little finicky, could probably use a little work to stabilize it....but as is, it's very useable.

At the end of the day, I'd love to have the sysdynei monitor working, I'd like to have a working spare, and I'd be willing to part with the Amdek or Casper as part of a deal to have the Sysdynei fixed up.

I'm located in Massachusetts. I do travel to Jersey frequently as well.

Start with the electrolytic caps in the first one. The symptom sounds familiar. The Amdek could be suffering a similar fate with lower-than-normal voltages.

Thanks for the suggestions. While maybe I might try changing a capacitor here or there when it's obviously bad and easy to get to, fixing dead monitors is not something I am capable of, or looking to learn to do. This thread is to search for people that can do the repairs, or advise on finding people to repair monitors.

Back