• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

a VIC 20 sold for how much?!

VERAULT

Veteran Member
I was just looking into getting myself a penultimate cart (or seeing if there is something newer or better out now for my VIC 20) and I stumbled on this sold listing on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/15455838625...AAAOSwhOlhDBAa

How and why did this thing sell for that much? And it was only sold a few towns away from where I am... Strange. By the way the seller is a large junk shop with really absurdly high prices. I made the mistake of walking in there a few years ago and leaving my number in case some old computers showed up and now they have some autocall system harass me constantly. Who still used a old fashioned auto call system?!

No idea, but maybe it's a rare variant? Never saw such a VIC-20 box. But I'm not much into VIC-20 stuff anyway.

It is the earliest VIC-20 made in Japan before they started making them in the US. It came a little after the even earlier VIC-1001 that was exclusive to Japan. Here is a picture of both with the boxes. You can see where the design came from but it did change once they produced them in the US.

While the price is definitely on the high side, don't forget about that VIC-20 poster in the auction. It is original and very uncommon.

Early VIC-20.jpg

They plugged it in and the POWER light turned on.
Looking at their other items and the seller name, it's one of those antique shops that worthpoint's first and asks questions later.

They plugged it in and the POWER light turned on.
Looking at their other items and the seller name, it's one of those antique shops that worthpoint's first and asks questions later.

Yeah like I said. I have been there and there are no bargains to be had. http://www.roosevelttower.net They also have a bunch of "pay us to take your junk away" trucks in front.. I assume that is how they try and find thier stuff to sell.

Antiques! BAH! RUBBISH! Here in connecticut all the Junk shops call them selves "antique shops" but they are over priced JUNK shops.. Its just out of control. I guess Rich New Yorkers keep them in bussiness... They are everywhere! They sell the same EXACT stuff you find in goodwill.. nothing better!

It is the earliest VIC-20 made in Japan before they started making them in the US. It came a little after the even earlier VIC-1001 that was exclusive to Japan. Here is a picture of both with the boxes. You can see where the design came from but it did change once they produced them in the US.
Thanks for the clarification. Seems like the unit and the box are not fitting together then, as you can see the DIN connector on the PSU. The first units did not have a DIN connector for power.

Back