• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

About the NCR Decision Mate V

per

Veteran Member
A friend of mine recently found an old NCR DM5 at his workplace. The machine is lacking a keyboard, and has no expansion cards.

So from what I understand, this is a very expandable Z80 machine with NEC uPD7220 graphics. Is it worth picking up even though it lacks a keyboard and expansions are problably hard to come by? Are there other keyboards that can be used?

Last edited:
Hello,

I used to use one of these as my daily machine way back in about 1984 and I really like them. In fact if one came up on ebay here in the UK I'd seriously think about getting it.

As you said, they were very expandable. This was done by simply slotting metal cased expansion modules into one of a series of slots in the back. No tools required. You could even add a second processor by just plugging it in. If I remember correctly, an 8086(or 8088 ) was available.

They are really nice machines and I envy you for having the chance to get one.

Cheers,

Andy.

Thanks!

It has model-number 3273-0102-6511, which I have figured means it's close to the bare minimum configuration. It should have the Z80, 64KB RAM, two floppy disk drives and Monochrome graphics.

The expansion interface is indeed very nice, well enginered. On the contrary, it's also very proprietary and difficult to make replicates for. I wonder how often RAM or CPU expansions pop up on Ebay, though, and for which prices. Right now there is a few RS-232 modules available for those who has loads of money.

Last edited:
Back