• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Acculogic side-1/16

I put together a SWTP TV Typewriter for my Altair back when. My video display was a hot-chassis Zenith "portable" TV (tube type) that I'd won in a raffle. I just tapped into the video detector before the sync separator.

The hot chassis made things "interesting" if you plugged the line cord in the wrong way...

I have a Black and White portable Sony TV which was modified for use as a b/w monitor for my System 80 way back in 1981.

It still goes!

Tez

I also got a portable B/W TV from arount 1980. But it's from Panasonic (I think you can see one of the same model in the background of an office in a MacGyver episode, don't remember which).

The latest acculogic tries...

The latest acculogic tries...

250 meg IDE Zip Drive - No response what so ever..

What the acculogic card will boot from
and will not boot from:

128 Meg CF Card - Yes
256 Meg CF Card - No
512 Meg CF Card - No
2 Gig CF Card - No

All cards worked as slave drives to the dos max, no real testing done beyond that - as of yet.

I know this is a very old thread, but today I experimented with this very thing and discovered that a CF I had formatted on my Compaq portable with DR-DOS 5.0 booted right up on my Everex Step 286 with this Acculogic card. I then took a pair of 1.2 MB floppies with MSDOS 5.0 and tried to format one of my blank 64MB CFs. It has been formatted on mt Win & machine. The install process did not recognize the partitions. I had to run FDISK and delete what was recognized as non-dos partitions. I deleted all of these and then rebooted and let the DOS install program complete. It didn't boot on a restart so I booted to the floppy again and then ran FDISK/MBR. Rebooted fine after that and DOS 5.0 runs perfect. I can boot directly to the CF as a master. I hope this helps someone else in the future. The bottom line appears to be that the card needs to be partitioned and formatted from a circa 1990 version of DOS, whether MS or DR.

In case anyone has come up with a workable solution to this:

Here is my dilema:

I can connect a micro drive or regular ide hd to it and get 500ish megs as expected. They work and boot and all that normal stuff.

What I would like to do is use CF cards, easier to manage and handle than micro hard drives.

When I tried going that route, everything works, except it wont boot from a CF card, when still connected and leave a boot floppy in, it will boot the floppy and i can still go to C:/ on the CF card and everything there looks normal.

I did a formatted the CF card as a normal HD and sys fuction, but my IBM XT refuses to boot from it other than everything else working normally.

So I tried another configuration, I connected the mico drive to the card as the master, and connected the CF card contraption as the slave, the microdrive boots and works, at boot up u see both hds showing up, but fdisk refuses to see the 2nd hd.

You would think if the Acculogic sees a 16 bit physical hd and works, it would see a CF card as being no difference, obviously there is a difference someplace.

If anyone has any ideas on this...

1702316838142.png
J2A : 40-pin IDE connector (assume correct insertion
J4 : 5-pin connector, DC Power
W1 : BIOS Address (C800h or CA00h)
W2 : I/O Port Address (320h or 324h)
W3 : Interrupt Request (IRQ5 or IRQ2*)

The AccuLogic sIDE-1 controller has an on-board low-level format program.
To enter the program, run DEBUG utility supplied with DOS and enter G=C800:5 at the prompt.

The controller supports 17 SPT translation (Many older BIOS only supported 17 sectors/track).
*If IRQ2 jumper is selected the drive must also be set to IRQ2 (See Volume 2: Drive Settings)

BIOS Support Configurations

Formatted Capacity
Maximum Heads
Cylinders
20 MB​
2​
782​
30 MB​
3​
782​
40 MB​
4​
782​

Last edited:
Hi, I use Acculogic sIDE 1/8, and it works quite well, even with a 2GB FAT16 CF card. I solved my booting problem by connecting CF to a windows pc with a card reader and using diskpart tool (run as admin). You do "list disk", followed by "select disk" for CF, followed by "clean".
I then booted from MS-DOS 5.0 floppy and ran fdisk to created single 2GB primary dos partition and make it active. Reboot. After reboot, I did "fdisk /mbr" to overwrite boot sector. Next, "format c: /u /s". This should get you to a minimal bootable CF.

The sIDE bios is dated 1993, what year is your bios dated?

Back