• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Acer 286 Bios

stanger

Hello. Recently bought an Acer "286", model 915. This PC is in very beautiful condition, but when I access the BIOS, it has three options: Hd format, change password and general information. When trying to configure the general information, bios is empty. Not appear the options. It has menu date, time, drives, hd, but without any options. The ESC does not work from there, and no other key. The battery model is the Dallas Real Time, which are without charge. Can anyone help me? Thank you

With most 286 era machines you boot DOS (from a floppy if needed) and run a setup program.
I'm not sure what the Acer uses, but you could try GSETUP which works on most AT systems and is in the file list here:

http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/software/software.htm

Trouble is, you need to replace that battery or it'll forget everytime you power it off.

Edit: If your machine uses the AMI NEAT chipset/BIOS then see this thread which has a link to the correct setup program:
http://www.wimsbios.com/forum/topic13099.html
GSETUP only deals with the basic stuff, using the OEM configuration tool lets you set all the extended options correctly - which is much more ideal if you can find it - so hoping the above is a match for you.

Last edited:
I can help you out with the drained Dallas RTC battery. The battery stores the computer's BIOS settings and if the battery dies, the computer can forget the settings on the next startup, and continue to do so until it is recharged.
This thread is from when I "hacked" or performed the rework on a Dallas battery in a Compaq laptop. Same battery, but different computer.
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcf...S1287-Rework-How-Am-I-Doing-So-Far&highlight=

The pins are sort of hard to find, and at times you may think you've chipped the pins off, but they're hard to break off.

Hello. Recently bought an Acer "286", model 915. This PC is in very beautiful condition, but when I access the BIOS, it has three options: Hd format, change password and general information. When trying to configure the general information, bios is empty. Not appear the options. It has menu date, time, drives, hd, but without any options. The ESC does not work from there, and no other key. The battery model is the Dallas Real Time, which are without charge. Can anyone help me? Thank you

You mention there is an option to configure the drives (floppy?), hard drive. date and time. What other options would you expect on a 286 motherboard with no cache? There were not many configuration options in most 286 motherboard BIOS setups.
Your board configures the on-board video, memory parity, and keylock options via the jumpers on the motherboard. It seems the memory is automatically configured, up to a whopping 5MB!

Motherboard configuration here http://www.t-zero.org/archive/old_jumpers_pinouts/m/txt/31626.txt or here http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/A/ACER-INC-286-SYSTEM-915P-II.html

I think he's saying he can view the information, but not change it.

After reading it again I think you are correct.

I could only find the following setup utilities for ACER BIOS setup.

ftp://ftp.mcscomputer.hu/driverek/Komplett Gep/Acer/power_sn/driver/ACERUTIL.ZIP Documentation included with specific references to the ACER 286 BIOS so this one looks better than the other.
ftp://ftp.mcscomputer.hu/driverek/Komplett Gep/Acer/power_sn/driver/ACER915V.ZIP This is probably only for the 915V 386 motherboard but who knows?

If I were a betting person I'd go with ACERUTIL.ZIP.

Last edited:
Thank you for the answers. SpidersWeb I'll do what you stated and see if that solves the problem. RJBJR In fact, I can not change the options because they are not present. Thanks for the tips DosLivesOn with battery. I'll try to do what you said.

I will return to post if the issue is resolved. Thank you all.

Hi,
I have the same issue with my Acer PC 220/286 HD

When I enter this screen it freezes and the only way out is to reset the PC.
From what I read here it looks like I need a setup disk to configure these bios settings. Anyone knows where I can get one?

Attachments

• 20180408_195608.jpg
    20180408_195608.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 4
  • 20180408_195112.jpg
    20180408_195112.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20180408_193025.jpg
    20180408_193025.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20180408_193901.jpg
    20180408_193901.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20180408_193911.jpg
    20180408_193911.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 3
From what I read here it looks like I need a setup disk to configure these bios settings. Anyone knows where I can get one?

The images you posted indicate that you already have a BIOS Setup in ROM so you don't need any setup disk. But you most likely will need to replace the onboard battery (or replace or mod the clock chip which contain the battery).

Yes I already ordered a new battery (Dallas)
The good thing it is socketed
Will actually report the results as I get it (as opposed to the thread starter)

The replacement Dallas chip came with dead battery.
So I had to repair the original one and it worked!

Back