• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Advice on programmer/tester

marc.hull

Experienced Member
Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I am currently looking for a tool that can both test IC's and program EPROMS (as well as other devices.) There are plenty of them available I know, but being ignorant of the subject I was hoping some of you with more experience could chime in with some advice and perhaps a pointer to a known good product I could consider. I obviously don't want to remortgage my home to get one but I also don't want to be disappointed.

My current method of wholesale chip swapping has left me with a pile of unknowns and it is silly to continue this practice. If anyone has an opinion I would sure like to hear it.

Thanks for reading.

Marcus.

Not meaning to be flip, I have to ask "How much money do you have to spend?"

There are some very nice programmers out there--Xeltek makes some that will test common TTL devices as well as DRAM chips and program a wide range of devices. But you'll pay big money for one.

That leaves you with the Far East models.

I've heard very good things about the Wellon VP490, which appears to do what you want without breaking the bank (there are other Wellon models with less functionality).

Most of the cheaper Chinese programmers will do SRAM testing, but not DRAM.

Thanks for the response. Your not being flip at all.

I figure my budget at around $200. Any more and my wife may beat me.

I have looked at a lot of the Hong Kong stuff including the Wellon products but I can not find a whole lot of definitive info on them. Pair that with some conversations I have had about claims not matching abilities and you can imagine my uncertainty.

I would really like some anecdotal evidence as to the abilities of any of the tools or a pointer to an online manual (which I have not been able to pinpoint.)

Thanks again for the DL link. My device arrived today without an interpreter and my Chinese is a shade lacking.

Back