• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Advices to move a VAX 730 by road

Before you put any tape into the TU58 drive, check that the capstan wheal hasn't turned into goo.

Many also had RL02s. I think by that time, there were also some third-party vendors, but I'm not certain.

If you wanted to throw good money after a slow machine, you could also equip one with RA60/61 drives. Though I haven't the faintest idea why anyone would do that.

Many also had RL02s. I think by that time, there were also some third-party vendors, but I'm not certain.

If you wanted to throw good money after a slow machine, you could also equip one with RA60/61 drives. Though I haven't the faintest idea why anyone would do that.

I know someone on the west coast with a 11/750 with an RA60, but he only has it and the massbus interface it needs because he has no other way to boot the machine.

I know someone on the west coast with a 11/750 with an RA60, but he only has it and the massbus interface it needs because he has no other way to boot the machine.
There may be some confusion here. The RA60 was only available with an SDI interface (for UDA50, HSCxx, etc.). Packs came factory-formatted as either 16- or 18-bit (the latter for DEC 10/20 systems). There was no RA61. The Rx80 was available with SDI (RA80), Massbus (RM80) and pseudo-SMD (R80, used on the VAX 730's integrated storage controller). Rx80 was field-formatable to 16- or 18-bit format. The RA81 was only available in SDI and had separate factor-formatted HDAs for 16- and 18-bit. By the time the RA82 came along, only 16-bit HDAs were supported.

VAX 730 arrived at my brother's home :D

I got:
VAX 730 + R80 + RL02 + TU58 + VMS documentation
10 x RL02 pack
2 x VT102
LA120
Tektro 4112A + documentation
Architect software installed on the R80

Direct from the first owner :D:D

Back