• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

ALERT: OEM Parts in Colorado Springs closing down!

Caleb Hansberry

Veteran Member
This is not another Computer Reset post! I went to my favorite (and the only) local junk shop today and was shocked to see a "store closing sale" sign! I will try to get a video before they close, but they say they close at the end of this month, so we really don't have much time.

OEM Parts is not a vintage computer paradise like CR. I may have gotten the only actual vintage computers there (except today they also had an Osborne). However, they have TONS and TONS of hardware. I'll try to show what I can in pictures. They have RAM chips, ROM chips, batteries, transistors, resistors, capacitors, LEDs, AC adapters, all kinds of rare connectors, ISA cards, PCI cards, a few of those long PCI cards that I cant remember if theyre VLB or MCA, floppy drives, hard drives, audio equipment, a million old radios, motors, any kind of wire imaginable, adapters like VGA, SCSI, or audio, signal generators, vacuum tubes, calculators, probes, strange old equipment I dont know what it is... last time I was there, on Wednesday the 17th, there were tektronics scopes and a Sony Laserdisc player...

I'll post my finds later. I scored some odd old portable computer, a british oscilloscope, and a Caleb floptical drive - which of course I have always been extremely keen to get. Prices are very low - RAM chips are being charged per pound, $10 a pound I think, so I paid $3 for several tubes of 41256 chips. I highly urge you to check this place out if you want a spare stash of electronics parts or components, or if you want to look at their weird equipment in the back on the left hand side. Again, very likely no computers here. Here's some pictures I got:

Album: https://imgur.com/a/GUZX6fv

Example of component shelf:
VHlCizV.jpg

Logic chips I guess:
6cG5K49.jpg

8SVx1Rq.jpg

The chip isle:
H1SVRtA.jpg

D1ujhcL.jpg

Some of the equipment - its just where I was at that moment, there's much more. Let me know if you want me to try to pick up a broken Tek scope, but you'll have to paypal me before I buy it, cause I spent my savings here already!
Vnnsu2v.jpg

Tube tester:
0GzeZXy.jpg

They have a whole box of these, along with Jaz, floppy, Zip, tape, and some other odd 5" format:
LxXfj1V.jpg

One of the broken Tek scopes. label says it needs TLC on the focus + trigger:
zfU5wTw.jpg

Last notes - again, word is that we have until July 31st before they close. They do not know what will happen to the stuff. If you can, get the young guy to ring up your stuff, his prices are more fair than the old guy who's still living in the past, price-wise, though he can still give you a deal too.

Wow, seems a great place for finding vintage parts.

It's close enough for me to drive, but nothing is screaming "must have!" from the pics, although I imagine if I lived in town I'd be visiting periodically just to see what shows up like you were doing.

It's close enough for me to drive, but nothing is screaming "must have!" from the pics

I felt that way until Halted closed, though Excess Solutions bought some of Bob's stock.

Obscure ICs are something to go after, since you can't trust that the stuff coming out of China isn't counterfeit/remarked.

Yeah, it's sad cause it filled a void left by RadioShack. If you were working on something and wanted a part the next day and didn't want to pay $8 to ship it, it was convenient. A lot of the stuff is also on digikey, mouser, eBay, or Alibaba though, so they really take a piece out of its business. Still, it's sad that there's a lot of assorted stuff like tubes and chips that while they'll *probably* never be needed, if they were, they will be vastly harder to find through the internet.

Obscure ICs are something to go after, since you can't trust that the stuff coming out of China isn't counterfeit/remarked.

The problem is that I don't know the supply chain well enough to recognize the obscure parts at a glance. Maybe somebody like Will Donzelli has that knowledge, but not me.

I thought at first someone somehow took pics of my basement but then I realized that it was better organized.

Darned shame about losing it.

Oh man,

This is FY year end close for work and my next weekend is busy with an arcade auction, DFW Retro Computer Group meet, a friend's birthday, and a Computer Reset event.

I guess I'll miss out on the closing. That sucks. I keep some money set aside for bulk buys of ICs and test gear, but it would be the first weekend in August before I could get there. :(

I see some bipolar PROM numbers like 7611 and 82S185. Bipolar PROMs are quite common in seventies and eighties equipment. And are getting harder to find at decent prices. So if the same price apply for bipolar PROMs I would get a tube of each type I could find.

Made a trip up there from Albuquerque today! I left with a YMF719 and a ESS1869 sound card (last 2 sound cards they had), a Matrox PCI graphics card, and a some random cables. Sadly, there were no ISA or VLB graphics cards to be found. My wife actually found a few things too including this 12V light. Props to anyone who can tell us what it is/where it came from!
IMG_9033.jpgIMG_9034.jpg

Nice! I'm glad someone went. That's a long journey! I actually saw that ESS1869, but I was like what would I do with it :) I noticed the prices they were giving for things were climbing as the days went by - on Wednesday I got a Visual Commuter for $30, and the next Tuesday I got a NEC Powermate Portable for $100.

Time for an update! Here are some of the things I got from OEM:

I wanna do the cool stuff first. NEC APC IV Powermate Portable, works fine and includes the mechanical keyboard, modem, 80287, and backpack 360kb drive (would like the 1.2mb one but its rare enough as it is):
o4USYbv.jpg

That one was a little spendy, it cost $100. But its a very cool machine.

Visual Commuter 1083, amazingly it also works fine though I haven't tested the FDDs yet:
hskyuZs.jpg

This is the one I'm most excited about. an old tube oscilloscope, a Telequipment S51B:
mHbdST0.jpg

Look at that lovely picture. Now I need to figure out how to use it, and how to calibrate it. It's quite difficult to get the image to stop drifting, and I don't know how to actually accurately measure the wavelength if there is a width adj knob:
AOC1OBI.jpg

Caleb it floptical drive. I've always wanted one of these because my name is Caleb. It's NIB but I searched the floppy disk section thoroughly and could not find a single Caleb diskette, so if anyone has one they are willing to sell me, let me know!
j35RpB2.jpg

Macintosh IIci, its dirty, doesn't boot, doesn't have anything interesting inside it, and cost $30:
pfPvBzb.jpg

Media Vision Audioport parallel sound card:
yZPWc6O.jpg

Got a whopping 7 HP-IL cables. These are $50 on eBay so if I sold them all at that price, I'd have $350. However, I fully intend to dilute the market if it can bring that price down a lot. No pic cause I ran out of pics in this post but you know what an HP-IL cable looks like - hit me up if you need one!

Function generator. I'm not sure what this does, but I'll assemble it and I think it'll generate something I can read on my oscilloscope, and hopefully teach me something about electronics. Also, if anyone here wants one, there was still another NIB one last time I was there:
dYGHKiO.jpg

Some extra DD 5.25" diskettes from china NIB. Pretty boring and possibly low quality, branded Dysan 100.

Here are some books I got. I do not want them for myself, so I really hope they are useful to someone else here:
PNi52ZC.jpg

nBEm1KR.jpg

This one I'm keeping for myself:
drD8f7z.jpg

not quite NIB but looks very unused - Zip 100 battery pack, seems a little uncommon:
OfgN6yo.jpg

Floppy cleaning kits - they still have a million of these:
39EW1db.jpg

Nasty old parallel Zip 250 drive. Not sure if it's even worth getting but here it is. If anyone needs one of these let me know:
ifdJBoP.jpg

Promise IDE/SATA controller. I don't know what this might be compatible with - I'm thinking either IDE in a modern machine, or SATA in an older one?
y1Yq3fi.jpg

Lastly, I did not get this but they have a DEC VT180 terminal:
2OyhLbv.jpg

I also saw some SIMM RAM checkers, a Macintosh ADC Cinema Display, a CRT tube rejuvenator with all the accessories, tons and tons of tube radio equipment and different cable terminals and hand terminal crimpers, a Weller soldering station without the soldering iron, a Tandy 4860 laptop... I do feel like I should say again, they don't have many actual vintage computers. I intentionally bought most of what they had, and if any of what I got interests you feel free to ask about it. I did spend a few hundred here that I ought to recover some of.

If ya happen to be needing an NEC Powermate Portable or Visual Commuter while in the area, lemme know :D

I meant to post this too, some very important looking camera underneath a pile of soldering equipment:
MUaXn4m.jpg

I will, thanks!

Word is that the official last day is August 17th. The DEC VT180 went to a good home, someone in one of the vintage computer groups. I'd like to get some video up for you all, but my video editing resources are currently very limited and the video is broken into 4 pieces.

Caleb,

Not to thread jack but have you tried taking the ZIP Battery pack apart? I have a few of them myself but I am positive by now the cells have gone bad. Would love to know if they can be easily replaced.

Back