• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ALi M1429/M1431 Chipset Documentation

sergey

Veteran Member
Hi,

I have a 386DX motherboard with ALi M1429/M1431 chipset, and it doesn't boot at all... It doesn't show post codes, and looking at the CPU, there is no activity although it does seem to get the correct clock (CLK2 = 80 MHz).
I still have to go through all the CPU signals, and figure out what prevents it from fetching the code. I'd expect that it should at least pulse address and control signals.
With that being said, I also don't see clock on the keyboard controller, pin 3. So perhaps that's the problem... If I recall correctly, the keyboard controller is what resets the CPU, or at least can reset it.

Anyhow, I am looking for the ALi M1429/M1431 chipset documentation. There seem to be a reference to Acer Laboratories, Inc., “M1429G/M1431/M1435 Data Sheet” (October 1993), in a few places. But I cannot locate the datasheet itself.
Perhaps someone here has this documentation?

Thanks,
Sergey

Check the keyboard controller and around it for battery damage. If the keyboard controller isnt working, the board wont have gate A20 and a few other signals, so wont boot. So you are correct on the reset issue. Make sure to use 4 identical ram sticks as well. Pictures could help.

Far as documentation, I can't seem to find anything either.

Well, I was measuring wrong pins for the Keyboard controller clock. It does get the clock (7.159 MHz) and the reset.
I don't see any activity on other pins, including /A20 and /RS. With that being said, it seems that /RS is not connected anywhere, so perhaps the chipset emulates the reset functionality.

It is weird that ALi M1429/M1431 chipset was very popular for 386/486 motherboards, and yet there is almost no information on them...

Back