• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:36 PM.

Gmt

Gmt

No, that can't be right. It's 0205 here, and it's dark.
Did you leave the light on, or did I *forget* to pay the electric bill, again.
pats

patscc wrote:

No, that can't be right. It's 0205 here, and it's dark.
Did you leave the light on, or did I *forget* to pay the electric bill, again.
pats

Well Erik's in San Jose, CA - so Stevens Point, Wisconsin is
obviously nowhere near San Jose! :-D

I wonder if time could help with Geography - sure Sydney is
about 1000 Kilometres from Melbourne and Brisbane is probably
closer to Sydney than Melbourne is to Sydney and yet are in
another time zone. Usually though the further west you go the
longer the days become anyway which is a good way to know how
close one place is from another. Because Sydney is kinda North
East of Melbourne though - it screws everything up in that
sense.

Go to Edit Options in the User CP and scroll down to Date & Time Options. Here you can select which time zone you live in and want time stamps displayed in. I get the feeling CP/M User has not found this, thus his time stamps are all shown in GMT-8 which may be the server default (a.k.a. Erik's) time zone.

Well I was going to say that I'm just messing around, though the point is by telling me what the time is where you are I can see immediately what the time is here compared to Saginaw, MI, USA 48601. Which is what the Date & Time Options in my User Control pannel doesn't tell me! :-D

Anyway I thought it's just an interesting observation as part of how would the world be without Time Zones.

Time Zones

Time Zones

I remember reading something that a while ago the USSR didn't use internal time zones, it based everything off Moscow time. Of course, this might just be an urban legend...
patscc

Noon at 13:00!

Noon at 13:00!

I remember reading something that a while ago the USSR didn't use internal time zones, it based everything off Moscow time. Of course, this might just be an urban legend...
patscc
All of your timezones are bolong to us!

I don't know why we can't all just use the same standard all over the world. Anybody that really cares about time, does anyway. This switching around, and 1/2 hour timezones, and on and on, is just a mess. I've even seen transportation schedules with 12 hour AM PM type numbers here in Canada. :confused: Summertime around here we even have noon at13:00!

Largely UL. In the Soviet era, Moscow time was used throughout the Ukraine, Baltic states and Belarus. Nowadays, that's been broken up. As it is, Russia has 11 time zones, even though it spans 12. A big country.

On the other hand I believe China is one huge time zone based on Beijing time. It means in the Western parts of China, sun may not rise until 1 PM or so?

Back