• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Altair #1 - Lost in the mail. Who got Altair #2?

I noticed the DB25 holes from backpanel are round corners & right side of PSU metal base plate from last photo has holes. These makes the #201 Altair special.

The #201 indicate, the SN number with light-yellow pillar holder on stock Altair computers reached to #201 so far, and the lowest serial with blue pillar holder I found on internet so far is #790.

Thank you.
Leiy.

Hi All;

I have never seen an old Altair with the BIG Capacitors over on the side, instead of the small ones along the Back of the machine..

THANK YOU Marty

This one has been upgraded. The entire power supply had been upgraded and attached to the original motherboard is a 3rd party one which adds 8 slots.

Hi,

Has anybody noticed that Altair 8800 SN: 000000, the machine lost in the mail to Popular Electronics may have turned-up?

Altair 8800 SN-000000-c.jpg

Hi,

Has anybody noticed that Altair 8800 SN: 000000 does exist in a collection? The computer that was sent to Popular Electronics and "got lost" ???

Altair 8800 SN-000000-c.jpg

I would not assume that an Altair with a (most likely) hobbyist-made dress panel is the original “lost Altair just because the panel is white. Note that the Altair on the right appears to be an Altair 8800 Clone and the cabinet on the left also appears to the be an Altair Clone cabinet - but not built out yet. Maybe an 8800c project? While the white face Altair appears to be an original cabinet, I’m not sure we have an unusual collection here in which the original lost Altair would be lurking.

Yeah, that looks quite different to the original, missing Altair. Looking at the photos of the original, the switches are lower down of the front with 'Altair 8800' up in the top left of the panel. I could be wrong but I believe the bezel was not blue on the original but a dark grey / black. Possibly somebody's attempt a creating a replica of the original or a re-badged machine similar to the Cycloid ones.

Cheers,
Dave

Hi,

As far as I know, only a few people ever saw the original Altair #0 or #1 ... so we would need to ask one of those people (Bill Gates?) to have a look.

I have been bugging the guy a little to send me photos of the machine front 'n back 'n inside from at least four angles.

Hi,

I wonder if it's the guy in Finland, or somebody else?

Hi,

I wonder if it's the guy in Finland, or somebody else?

This eBay seller ships from Plano Texas, and has stated he is selling it on behalf of a close family friend.
The serial number indicates it is an “early Altair” but far from being the first. Extensive modifications have been made inside and out, and it seems there are no original MITS/Altair boards inside it.

Back