• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Altair 8800 Gerbers

rthorntn

Hi everyone, I'm new here!

I would like to build an Altair 8800 replica and would like to have the PCB's produced in small quantities, probably in China, I have had good results from PCBWay.

Are the gerbers in the public domain now?

I see some PCB's on ebay but these are prohibitively expensive for me (I'm in Australia).

Thanks for looking.

Richard

Hi everyone, I'm new here!
I would like to build an Altair 8800 replica and would like to have the PCB's produced in small quantities, probably in China, I have had good results from PCBWay.
Are the gerbers in the public domain now?
I see some PCB's on ebay but these are prohibitively expensive for me (I'm in Australia).
Thanks for looking.
Richard

Richard -

I'm the person who had the Altair Gerber files created. It was an expensive and time consuming effort. It was about $300 to have the Gerber's created from a bare board plus the cost of prototype boards before any production boards were fabricated. The boards are sold for $35 thru ebay (to cover their fees), and I sell them for $30 directly.

I don't think that's prohibitively expensive, and if I'm lucky I might eventually break even.

Do PM me, as I can ship via first class to Australia for a lot less than Ebay charges and can hopefully make a board affordable for you.

There are Gerber files for many other S100 boards on http://www.s100computers.com - so you could put together a more generic S100 system.

I don't think you could do a small run of S100 boards for less btw - the gold edge connectors run up the cost quite a bit for small quantities.

- Gary

I'd almost be interested... but I'd want the case... have you figured out how to get the new reproduction cases like Grant did?

I'd almost be interested... but I'd want the case... have you figured out how to get the new reproduction cases like Grant did?

The problem is that Grant went to Optima and paid them to pull the original MITS plans and retool to make a run. Wasn’t cheap. He said that was the biggest cost in his whole project and I don’t think he ever got even on his spend.

Hi All;

I would like to get the Gerbers for the Altair CPU Board, as mine has some torn traces, and I would like someday to make or get a new to me Altair 8800 CPU Board..

THANK YOU Marty

I've had CPU boards for IMSAI and Altair done. I do think they came out quite nicely.

I don't have any plans to tackle a case, but would consider some of the other Altair boards if I had originals available to have scanned.

Sorry, but I haven't released the gerber files to the public at this time. I have a significant investment in having them produced. I think the cost is pretty reasonable ($30). My motive is making them available, hopefully I'll eventually break even.

See the post in Marketplace,

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?63360-Reproduction-8080A-CPU-boards-for-the-IMSAI-and-Altair-are-now-available-for-shipping

- Gary

Back