• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Altair 8800 Restoration Start-To-Finish w/Photos!

Hi All;
I Just saw this thread, and I am amazed at your work and labor of love..
Just wondering, Do you have any Idea of what the former owner had done/intended with all his mods.. Such as on the front panel, can you tell of his intent ??
There is a Transistor Mod for better output on the origional Power supply.. I have left the origional power supply in my machine, but disconnected it, and put newer Switchers that I got from Grant.. That way I can put it back to origional state if need be, but I now have cleaner voltages and protection in case of shorts or other problems..
I love the pictures !!!!

THANK YOU Marty

Yeah he put in a custom 68 pin bus which had different signaling, so he modified the control panel to be able to use it. He wire wrapped all the custom cards which I still have. The custom bus used regulated 5 and 12 volt power, so the power supply in there was built for regulated output.

Hi All;
Rbgrn, Thank You for Your prompt reply..
Here are some pictures, My machine Never has the Strip accross the Lower front, I was hoping to get one from Grant, but it didn't happen..

04242014042.jpg 04242014038.jpg 04242014039.jpg

04242014040.jpg 04242014041.jpg

THANK YOU Marty

Marty,

I had some name plates made about a year ago. I have two left if you want to buy one. $15 plus shipping. The look is very accurate except the MITS logo is not raised.

Mike

nameplate1.jpg

nameplate2.jpg

Hi All;
Here are some more pictures of my Altair Running with my SpaceByte 8085 CPU, and an Operating System that was written for it by a Friend of mine, Highly modified by me.. It still has some (I think) minor issues, and it needs the Various Drivers for the Tarbell 1011 disk Controller, as this is NOT CPM..

04252014045.jpg 04262014047.jpg

THANK YOU Marty

Back