• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

ALTAIR 8800B and 2 ALTAIR DISK DRIVES

MJP

I'm offering for sale my father's ALTAIR 8800b and two disc drives.

8800b MITS Serial Number: 54007 35M2
(Unit has three 88-16 MCS Memory Boards)
Two Disk Drives MITS Serial Numbers: DD0588 and DD0589

This computer was purchased by my father on November 10, 1976 in Santa Monica, CA. How do I know? I have the receipt! Crazy, right? Well, my dad was a doctor, so he kept great records.

I'm not familiar with vintage computers. The 8800b is really heavy. The receipt is actually a receipt/slash build sheet. I have no idea what things are inside, etc. I'm going off of the build sheet for specs. I will include the receipt in the sale.

I'm willing to ship anywhere in the world if you are willing to pay for either Fedex or UPS shipping with insurance.

Make me an offer if you are interested.

Cheers!

Some Pics

Some Pics

My wife (and her kitchen table) wish you were correct.

Attachments

• IMG_0358.jpg
    IMG_0358.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0357.jpg
    IMG_0357.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0350.jpg
    IMG_0350.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0349.jpg
    IMG_0349.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0352.jpg
    IMG_0352.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1
You should put your location in your profile so people will know is shipping is going to be a deal-breaker or not. If you were in Niagara Falls, NY, I'd be tempted, but, if you're in LA, sorry, I'll pass.

Funny, I am in LA. But if the 100-150 in shipping is a make or break it, you can always factor that into your offer. I have taken your advice and added my locale. Heck, if the price is right I may just waive the shipping!

How much do these usually go for? I could be tempted. I'm in 220V/50Hz land so would have to go through some hoops for the power supply though.

-Tor

Are there any other documents, disks, cables, terminals, etc. along with the three blue/gray boxes?

Are there any other documents, disks, cables, terminals, etc. along with the three blue/gray boxes?

The only thing I found was a file with the receipt, a color pamphlet and a yellow info sheet. Sadly, I think my mom threw away the disks and the Sanyo monitor. I haven't come across the manuals.

As a side note (nothing more than to have a chuckle), the 8800b and disk drives with all the disks, printer, monitor, etc. the total purchase price was almost $12,000 in 1976! That is like 20,000 today. I wonder if prices never came down how different our world would be. (As I write this post from my iPhone). :)

Cheers,

Matt

Well, thank you. It used to be beautiful, but, since our stupid government banned the use of pesticides for "cosmetic urban lawn use", it's now the City of Dandelions.

I'm in Los Angeles - what exactly is this "lawn" thing you speak of. ;)

I just wanted to give a shout out to everyone on here checking out my dad's old Altair. Everybody's emails have been very kind, polite and professional and it is much appreciated. I went back and forth about how to sell this item and I'm glad to offer it here and I'm really glad to meet some people that shared my dad's passion. He passed away last year and was very proud to be the first person on the block with a computer, so I just wanted to say thanks!

Matt

Shipping is a moot point on an Altair.. You're looking at $200 at most but if you're looking to buy (although I'm not up on my 8800b prices) that's maybe 10% of the cost. Have you ever tried powering it on? (if you haven't you may just want to wait unless you like soldering and capacitors) If so though it will add a lot of value if you can confirm it's working.

All three components light up and work. The price also just went up. LOL. Thank you for the advice. I was hesitant to plug it in until you suggested it would increase the value!

Usually with things like Altair eBay is the way to go. Seems like there is always a bidding war and they go for more than I would think they were worth. Never seen one go cheap anyway. I always watch them for the fun of it. Bidding goes nuts the last few seconds.

Yep, it looks like I'm headed there as well. I see an Altair 8800b going for $3,000 right now on eBay.

Keep in mind whether that's going price or asking price. Unfortunately they don't sell often enough to truly have a great "completed auctions" search but that can help you see what they have actually sold for. An 8800b will go for a bit less than an 8800 or 8800a but (IMHO) I think it sells a lot better than a turnkey system which doesn't have the flip switches which is what most folks I think are after.

It does tend to get the best exposure although they unfortunately nickel and dime ya quite a bit now too (posting fee, selling fee, paypal fee).

Keep in mind whether that's going price or asking price. Unfortunately they don't sell often enough to truly have a great "completed auctions" search but that can help you see what they have actually sold for. An 8800b will go for a bit less than an 8800 or 8800a but (IMHO) I think it sells a lot better than a turnkey system which doesn't have the flip switches which is what most folks I think are after.

It does tend to get the best exposure although they unfortunately nickel and dime ya quite a bit now too (posting fee, selling fee, paypal fee).

Yep. The 3,000 is the actual current bid price, not just the list without disk drives. I started on here intending to sell it to an enthusiast so you never know. eBay is what it is, I suppose.

Back