• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Altair 8800b front panel placard and case lid

retrobits

Experienced Member
Hi all,

I was recently gifted 3 Altairs (8800b, 8800b turnkey, Icom Attache) and some MITS/Pertec 8" drives, a ton of spare cards, chips, manuals, etc. It's pretty amazing actually. ;) I'm starting restoration on them.

The answer is probably "it can't be done" - but does anyone know how I might find or fashion the following two items:

• Two case lids
  • A front panel placard for the 8800b (with labels for switches, LEDs, etc)

I'd never seen an 8800b without the front placard before. It's just the metal plate with LEDs and switches. The functions of all the panel controls were labeled with masking tape. I'm told this machine was used in the MITS lab, so it has a kind of fun history. A small few of the switches are bent and the power switch is broken - will need to fix that. They are the flat lever switch style, and I believe I've found online sources for the appropriate American brand replacement models.

I'll make further posts with pictures (and hopefully videos) of the effort as I progress. Step one was taking the 8800b turnkey apart and cleaning it out - it needed quite a bit of cleaning but is in pretty nice shape otherwise.

- Earl

>I was recently gifted 3 Altairs (8800b, 8800b turnkey, Icom Attache) and some MITS/Pertec 8" drives, a ton of spare cards, chips, manuals, etc. It's pretty amazing actually. I'm starting restoration on them.

How does one become this lucky?

Maybe this fellow could help you? <https://www.adwaterandstir.com/about/> He has created the AltairDuino and uKenbak kits and may be able to tell you how he created the front panels & case shells.
-ilkka

After I picked myself up off the floor from fainting when I saw your amazing good fortune, I tried to recall if I've ever seen the parts you are asking about available anywhere. I cannot recall anything pertinent. While the cabinet covers are probably unobtainium, I suggest that you contact Mike Douglas at deramp.com. Mike has a tremendous amount of experience with restoring Altair systems, and, if nothing else, he may be able to provide you pointers on how to get that front panel fabricated.

Good luck with your restorations!

smp

Back