• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Altos 5-5ad OASIS password?

billdeg

Technician
I have an Altos 5-5AD with an OASIS OS disk. After entering the time/day it asks:

Logon please:

Any idea what the default logon is? I got this from Dunfield's site, I am hoping someone here had done the same thing as I, and found the logon user/password for their copy..

THANKS

Bill

Just to clarify, this is that floppy disk image that you're trying to find the password for not the system itself right? (Just googling around with ya and I see some similar comments on folks not knowing the 5.6 bootdisk floppy password). I don't suppose it's some nice readable format with an /etc/passwd file to crack?

There's one mentioning of the BIOS password (probably not what you're looking for) being sotla (Altos backwards). Might be something to go on or try some defaults, system:system, root:root, admin:admin, etc.

Last edited:
I didn't try sotla. I went ahead and made another boot disk that was not pw protected instead, so what I will do is use that to crack the ASIS disk, or at least try to. BTW, the disk says ASIS when you boot it, not OASIS like the label on the disk.

In the mean time I am installing my last new old stock ST506 hard drive into this system. Fingers crossed, the original drive was bad. I know an attic in Phialdelphia with a handful of ALTOS systems, and another business owner with an Altos in Wilmington. They still exist....

Bill

Bill

UPDATE: solta is the password to bypass the block Altos put up to prevent a person from formatting their hard drive. You can't install the OS unless you format the hard drive first.

So...here's a basic rundown of what you need to do to get your Altos 5-5AD running

1. Use image disk (imd) from Dave Dunfield's site to build two disks; ALTOS Diagnostics v 3.150 and the MP/M v. 2.14. Have fun, it takes a while to find the right combination of parameters to make usable disks. It appears that the images from dunfield's site were not built by the same person or with the same kind of set up, so you have to use different settings to build one disk vs. another. At least that's what I found using my Compaq Deskpro 386s and DOS 5.

2. Boot with the diagnostics disk and run HARDS5. Choose the hard drive format command. When asked "Do you want to continue?" rather than say "Y" enter "sotla" This is the secret response you need to bypass the format block...geez that took a lot of hacking time to find. If you do a hex dump of the disk search for SOLTA.

3. Use MP/M 2.14 INSTMPM command to move MP/M to the hard drive.

You will also have to go through additional hoops to get the system to boot from the hard drive. I am still working on that. I also want to make the system a one or two person multi-user system, no need to take up valuable RAM/disk space to have three users.

I never found the OASIS / ASIS login, but eventually someone will reply to this thread and let us in on the secret.

I found the manual after I did all of this, I will post to my web site, with more detailed directions.

Bill

Last edited:
Old thread i know the login for Oasis is
Logon please: SYSTEM

Password? ALTOS515

for this image .

IMD Teledisk 1.5 5.25-96 LD MFM S-step, 2 sides 1/03/2003 21:46:46
OASIS 5.6 Boot Disk for Altos 5-15AD. Unknown SYSTEM password.
ken

Here are all the user/passwords on that disk .

System,altos515
sonett3,saaber
termino,wyseman
wyseman,termino
saaber,sonett
turkey,leg

Seems all the software was written by one guy Timothy S. Williams
ken

Last edited:
Have you been able to set up a 5-5AD to boot directly to the hard drive? The system as I have it now requires there be a disk in drive A. This must be a ROM issue.

Back