• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Am I doing Ebay wrong?

My guess is that is is partially geographical and also partly supply and demand. I am based in the Netherlands, and see lots of great items on "the other side of the pond" but by the time you calculate shipping, import duties and VAT it usually makes no sense to buy it. The guy that flipped your 2k computer for 3k over here would not be making anywhere near 1k by the time you take the above into account.... but yeah ... sucks when you see that...
Yeah I guess. I'm thinking the market must be collapsing finally. Even incomplete 8800 Rev 0 cards were going for $400usd+ before. Even factoring in shipping and duties, you still could have bid mine higher and come out ahead of the game. Americans have a strange hangup about that sort of thing. International buyers don't.

Another possibility is maybe things weren't on the up and up with some of those ebay deals. I remember wondering if people were doing some kind of money laundering, such were the prices.

The partial boards were problematic and I, myself, wondered why the CPU board didn't have a serial number. I would have got them for spares but for me, something else came up. I don't think it's a Canada thing. I've sold a few items that went for a regular amount. I even sold a keyboard that had no previous sales records on eBay for a surprising amount yet I started the auction at $1. In my opinion, the person who resold it overseas likely made more because they just can't get some of the items from North America over there and the focused demand drives up what someone is willing to pay. I do believe that if your cards were fully populated, it would have been a different story.

Back