• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

American IIe in NZ

Gibsaw

Yep, I have one of these: An American IIe enhanced with a unidisk.

I'm assuming it's an NTSC composite output of some description.

Apart from rushing down to DSE to get a 110v step-down, is this machine likely to work with ANYTHING? Has anyone else tried this?

My guess is it'll depend upon whether the PSU is passing through the 60Hz timing for anything because any stepdown is likely to be 110 @ 50Hz. I've yet to read the schematics for the PSU

If the PSU is only outputting DC, then I think it'll probably work with any monitor that can properly deal with a 60Hz NTSC signal (which any modern TV can on it's AV inputs.)

The PSU is switch mode and outputs DC so will be fine on a step-down transformer. I'd replace the mains filter cap and the other X class cap nearby with new X2 ones - on a 230V the mains filter is 0.47uF and the other one is 0.1, but on a 110V the mains filter may be different. Replace them with new X2 caps - you can get them from Jaycar (http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=RG5240) or RS.

I have two IIe's - in one both caps had exploded, the 0.47 violently. In the other one the 0.1 appears fine but the 0.47 is cracked, so when I get a chance I'll be replacing them in both supplies. Its common for these to let go, and good preventative maintenance to replace them on sight!

Well, Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy I have an American Apple IIe (Enhanced) operating on a stepdown transformer.

Also, I never would have dreamed back in the eighties when I had my "Monitor II" greenscreen that I would be looking at an Apple IIe on a Sony 55" flat panel in 2010. :)

Back