• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

American living in Italy

neverthrowbong

Ciao! I'm Tim, 29, im in the army, currently living in Italy (italian paratroopers are awesome! Can we say party!!). Good news! I found a Commodore 64! Finally. Its true, there is a lack of vintage computing/gaming stores here in italy. It would probably help to speak italian...but I dont. I live in north eastern Italy, venice/veneto region. Any help on finding a store around here? Im going to need a monitor, maybe. I have an old hitachi tv that my NES is hooked up to via a/v cables. The cable plug on the back I assume is PAL (maybe?), well im a pretty good techno geek from the USA; our cable screws into the back of the tv; the plug is smooth, to make the connection I assume it just plugs in. (An then you slide the tv back around and the plug gets unplugged...I see it happening now...lol)

But as far as vintage computers...hmmm my 5 year old dell laptop lol. I personally dont own any, yet (the c64 in a couple days! - stoked) My father has a commodore 64. Probably others but I used it for gaming and we got an NES soon as they came out and another when I burnt that one out. I have used an Apple II, had those is school. But my fondest memory was hearing the fan kick on soon as the power button is pressed, we have liftoff I always thought being 6; my grandpa gave my dad his tandy 1000! Loved that machine! Comparing the guts of that to say a 386...phew. I knew my 386 was a beast (single speed cd-rom...bamf!)

But greetings, just looking for a little help starting my vintage computer collection. Legos are getting too expensive and I need to sell this MR2 (previous hobby) :rolleyes:

The RF connector on European sets is likely a Belling-Lee style connection. You will need one of those RF switch boxes like what was used in the US.

The cables used to connect home computers to tv in Europe are like this one:

rf_rca_cable_3m.jpg

The RCA plug,plugs in the computer,and the other end plugs direct into the tv.

Back