• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Amibay - retro computer trading site

Merlin

Experienced Member
Hi,

I am Merlin, lead moderator and admin at Amibay, which is currently a free trading site dedicated to the Commodore Amiga. In December 2007, Mark "Tecno" Wilson decided he would wind up the Amibench site after 10 years and move onto other projects.

For those of us who detest the price driving and traders charging rip-off prices on the auction sites, this was bad news.

Once we had got over the mourning for Amibench, some of us over at Oldskool UK created a new site called Amibay over the Christmas period, as a fee free trading site for the Amiga and since December, it's gone from strength to strength, with over 300 members from all over the world.

We also have a killer idea in the Recycle Bin, where members can offer goods to others for just the cost of shipping; one man's junk is another man's treasure. Traders aren't allowed to use the Recycle Bin and we screen members to root out traders, who may be after a cheap source of hardware or software. If you visit the site, you can't see the Recycle Bin until we grant you access to it; clever, eh? This is how we keep traders at bay.

We feel that we shouldn't stop with just the old Miggy though; what I would like to guage is your opinions on expanding the site to other retro computer formats, to offer a serious alternative to the auction sites. The logical choice for the first expansion is the other Commodore machines such as the C64 etc, however, we would value your opinions.

Please take a look at www.amibay.com and let me know what you think, we would dearly like the idea to expand into the whole 8 and 16-bit retro areas that us old 'uns know and love.

Over to you for comments....

Merlin

No comments from anybody? I am surprised....

Anyway, we've now opened the site to other formats, you are all welcome to take a look and join up if you like what you see.

:D

We've just opened our own Vintage Computer and Gaming Marketplace, which is an international auction site for those needs. There also are an increasing number of other auction and trading sites, so while yours certainly fills a need, it doesn't stick out as genuinely different in the post-eBay-went-mad happenings. :-D

@ Carlsson & nige the hippy

Fine, there's no need to flame me. I would like to clarify a couple of points though:

1. Amibay is NOT an auction site, we have deliberately banned auctions to stop price driving; people want retro stuff for reasonable prices, not prices dictated by traders with deeper pockets than most.

2. No other trading site on the scene operates the Recycle Bin as we do, what's to stop traders coming onto your site, buying stuff at a low price, then marking it up a few 100% then putting it out on Ebay?

Our site has been set up to offer a serious alternative to Ebay, iBid etc., you don't have to visit the site if you don't want to, however, we just wanted to inform your members that they have a choice.

Regards

Merlin

Last edited:
Fine, there's no need to flame me.

Nobody was flaming.

I would like to clarify a couple of points though:

[...]

we just wanted to inform your members that they have a choice.

Not a problem. I don't mind you promoting your site or your ideas. I think you've got some good ones and I wish you the best of luck.

I'll be signing up myself in the near future.

Back