• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Amiga 2000 keyboard options

andy

Experienced Member
I've finally started to resurrect an Amiga 2000HD that I've had in storage for many years. So far, I've replaced the defective SCSI hard drive, and managed to install the OS. The big problem I have is that I don't have a keyboard. I've been looking for some time on ebay, but prices start around $200 for an untested one that's in poor condition. I guess they made more Amiga 2000s than keyboards...

Can anyone recommend an alternative?

Is there a PS/2 or USB to Amiga adapter that is known to work well? How well do they handle the difference in key layout between Amiga and PC? The few options I've found are all from Europe, so it will be expensive and shipping will take a long time. I tried to buy one on ebay a few months ago, but it got lost in the mail.

icomp.de sells a nice programmable keyboard adapter. Lyra3 I believe it is. I've been using their micromys mouse adapter happily for awhile now with a usb-ps2 adapter.

You can get a Northgate keyboard (one with a hidden dip switch panel) that can be used on Amigas (also expensive).

I managed to get some Amiga mice back in the day and even fixed a couple sticky/broken buttons but I have more Amigas then keyboards myself.

Any idea is there was ever an Amiga KVM?

I had a feeling the home made adapters would have issues. I will keep an eye out for a compatible Northgate keyboard since they sometimes go for less than the $200-$300 Amiga keyboards are currently fetching.

I've finally started to resurrect an Amiga 2000HD that I've had in storage for many years. So far, I've replaced the defective SCSI hard drive, and managed to install the OS.
May I ask what the hard drive model was? I am working on my A2000 as well which has a Quantum Prodrive 40S with a number of issues.

How were you able to install the OS without having a keyboard?

Anyway, I would recommend the Lyra adapter from icomp.de as well.

I may have to give the Lyra a try.

Has anyone built this?

For hard drives, I have found my Amiga to be picky about which drives it will see. I have successfully used several IBM SCSI drives (DSAS-3720, DSAS-3540, and a 1GB IBM type 0662). The original Quantum worked a few times, but failed suddenly.

I had no problems installing the OS with just the mouse.

I used ADTWin to write Amiga floppies from disk images. It works well, but is very picky about motherboards. An old socket 423 motherboard running XP seems to work reliably with it.

Back