• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

An interesting discovery...

I said it in the Tandy forum, I'll say it here: I've been rumaging around through the unexplored territory of vintage computing.

What did I find?

The "Panasonic Senior (Sr.) Partner"!

Erik has this on the main site, but I never looked at it until I found one on eBay that had everything you needed, and the BUILT IN PRINTER was still working, so I slapped down 30 bucks... it was worth it.

Not only was my first computer the Business Partner (the un-luggable IBM clone Panasonic had), this portable version is even cooler. The screen is huge for a luggable computer, and the built in printer is very cool. Ruling out Commodore's SX-64, I think this maybe the best portable I've seen/used. I say ruling out the SX-64 because the SX-64 is just so awesome. But hey...

The screen is bright, the printer works fine, and the drives both work. Nothing is wrong with it, 'cept the average scuffs.

Anyone else (Erik, I know you have one) own one of these?

I had one of those several years ago, but I swapped mine for 5 IBM XTs, which I then donated to a classroom full of deaf children. I swapped it to a good friend, so I cn still visit it if I like.

--T

Panasonic Business Partner

Panasonic Business Partner

Hi there,
I found one of these, a few years back, at a Good Will 'values by the pound' store. Great place while it lasted. Anything with a power cord cost a dollar. They had 2 of these portables sitting there. Anything that was a 386 or better was grabbed right away. The rest was easy pickings.
One of them was full of dents and the other was pristine except for about 30 stickers and signs all over it. It belonged to a collage student who forgot to clean off the hard drive. Computers of this vintage were still easy to come by so I just grabbed the good one and left the other set.
I also found a Compaq version of this thing. Looks like one is a copy of the other. I wonder which one came first?

Re: Panasonic Business Partner

Re: Panasonic Business Partner

djkrex said:
I also found a Compaq version of this thing. Looks like one is a copy of the other. I wonder which one came first?

The Compaq was first, but it didn't have the printer. As I recall, the biggest problem I had with the thing was finding a printer driver that worked with it. I finally did find one, but I don't remember which one it was...mebbe an Epson FX. When I did find a driver, it even did graphics. (But the resolution really sucked). Not even near NLQ...

--T

Back