• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

And whre is Germany?

If you think that's funny, wait until you see that VCF has Australia/NZ/Pacific non-existent, we are apparently lumped under: "Asia".
That's like having a locality for the USA as just 'The Americas'.

I'm in a country the size of the United States, and a continent in its own right. That's why we, New Zealand and thousands of Pacific Islands and territories are regarded as Oceania.

I contacted the VCF admins with an Oceania region hierarchy suggestion not long after they were set up, and never heard back.

I suppose the admins are vintage computer people foremost, with knowledge about world geography not a requirement. It might be a trivial lack of oversight on VCF's part but I can't help feeling a trifle insulted, sadly.

There should be moon locations too. So I can trade items while I'm at the lunar base on the dark side.

Folks,

Changes have been made. Germany has been added to “Northern Europe,” the UK has moved to “Western Europe,” “Spance” has been corrected to “Spain,”, and Oceania has been added with sub-regions “Australia” and ”New Zealand.”

I hadn’t seen any requests for changes, before, so not sure where those were made.

Is there anything else that folks would like? “All of Asia” is a very large region, as is “All of Africa,” but we haven’t seen any requests for sub-regions there.

- Alex

Thank you Alex, very much appreciated. I PM'd you the details about my request for this to one of the VCF admins last year.

Steve.

Hmm... here in Germany I feel more west than north... Even if it's quite cold here in winter... And even if our government is so cold about shipping some Leos to Ukraine I don't feel that northern coldness. They speek german in Austria and biggest part of Swizerland, but we are not with them in this forum now.

Amercians and geography... Did you know, my grandpa used to run a hotel in "West Germany" and often he used to have american guests. These american guests brought often their own butter from US as they were afraid that they won't had some for breakfast...

Germany belongs to Western Europe, not Northern Europe. Northern Europe is the Scandinavian region, which Germany is not a part of.

Why not just remove the listing of the countries completely? It makes no sense if you can only select Northern/Eastern/Southern/Western Europe anyway - and people know where their country is.

You also should rewrite "Holy See" by "Vatican" that everyone understands better. And then let's see if there are enthusiasts inside Vatican for historic computers...

Additionally, Belarus and Russia currently aren't any part of Europe.

Additioanlly you should als move some south-east european countries of the "south group" more east...

We’re not intending to cover political geography so, Belarus and Russia definitely are totally or partially located in geographic Europe.

Honestly, we don’t care at all, and are willing to make whatever alignments are desired.

We have also left out San Marino and Andorra, not to mention a whole long list of other countries. We tend to add the countries that users request.

- Alex

edit: Oops, now just saw Alex's response above

I would tend to consider the UK and Ireland to be part of Western Europe, not Northern Europe...

Spance .. thats like some kind of Spain-France mashup. :)

Back