• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Announcing the reboot of IMSAI and the IMSAI series 2 systems

vbriel

Experienced Member
I've been using this site for years, and personally knowing Erik makes this the ideal place do drop this bomb. This has been in the works for a while and Todd and I have a tentative agreement where I'm going to purchase IMSAI IP and remaining inventory including the prototype's and info for the series 2. This is something I debated for a while because it is a big responsibility to take over an icon like IMSAI and attempt to release new products in a vintage format under the name. In order to raise the capital needed to purchase the IP, I will start a Kickstarter project shortly that will ask for help to raise the funds needed to "Save IMSAI". This campaign is not about making money but saving an icon. I'm asking for everybody's help and there will be small rewards in return for donations to the project. Anybody who has done business with me knows how much I care about the kits I produce and making sure they are happy with them. None of that will change and now we can look forward to new S100 systems rolling out after the purchase. So with that said, I'm going to do something I don't like to do and asking for help from the community. In return, I promise to work my hardest to roll out new products under the IMSAI name while retaining the vintage essence. Once the Kickstarter project is up you will get the chance to donate to "Saving the IMSAI" and in return I will try to give some type of small reward. Larger donations will receive something like a T-shirt saying "I saved IMSAI" and maybe even a special wall page on the website showing a list of contributor's. If we don't raise the money, we don't purchase IMSAI and it falls through the cracks. I feel I can give IMSAI new life. I'd like to hear everybody's opinion on this.

Vince Briel

Hi,

Will you set this up as a non-profit organization, so that folks who may be able to make a contribution could get the tax credit?

Thanks,
smp

Hi Vince,

You've got a great track record, and IMSAI is an important vintage brand. If you do a Kickstarter to save it, you can count me in.

Thanks for all you do for the retro and hobbyist computer community.

- Earl

Another thank you for this and all your other contributions to the hobby!

I'm sure you'll do a lot better with it than Todd has done in the last few years and I wish you the very best of luck; too bad he couldn't let it go for free or at least a token amount, but then who knows what he has invested in it.

GOOD LUCK!

I can't do a NPO right now, sorry. Thanks for the kind words guys. Free would have been nice, but we'll deal with what we are given. Hopefully we can make this happen and I know I can make IMSAI kits!

Having built your Altair kit, I have no doubts that you can do this. My hope would be for an S-100 version as well as the IMSAI-2 version. I'll probably be in for the kickstart, but will have to see where I am when you start it.
Good luck!
Kipp

This sounds great! I would contribute, just to save IMSAI. I've spent money on far lesser things than saving a computer icon. :)

Torfinn, you got it exactly right, to save IMSAI. The great thing is I know I can produce some machines within a year of acquiring IMSAI. Plus I'll be able to support some of the legacy hardware as well.

Vince

What is the objective? The old IMSAI or the new atx machine? Maybe I didn't understand the intent of the series-ii. Perhaps knowing more about the future and whether it'd be catering to IMSAI s-100 users or newer systems? (I know you've done a lot of good s100 work recently).

I'll enthusiastically second those thoughts, Barythrin!

Along with all the new S-100 boards being designed and produced by Andrew Lynch, John Monahan and others, an S-100 IMSAI would be exactly what I am hoping for.

smp

The series 2 can do both, ATX PC systems and S100 systems. The case is designed to handle both setups. So, you could have it both as a PC and as an S100 system if you wanted. The system has yet to be released so it is open to design adjustments. I can fit the large IMSAI S100 bus boards and a standard ATX motherboard at the same time. My goal is to cater to all, have a retro original case with the S100 system available or just as a retro style case running a ATX PC inside. The case has ATX power supply with an adapter to comply with S100 voltage standards. So, the series 2 is able to be customized for your needs. If all you want is a standard retro type S100 IMSAI, you can have that or a really cool PC setup in a retro case.

I'm not particularly interested in a PC in an IMSAI case (or a PC with a Commodore logo, for that matter), but I kept an eye on that IMSAI II project for years, for the possible S-100 variant.
So, if there will be S-100, count me in for the kickstart project - that's a direction I would support.

-Tor

It is the same project. The IMSAI II is the series 2. It can do both. If you look at imsai.net and go to the series 2 page you will see it can hold both a PC motherboard and a S100 motherboard. So, it would support your needs.

I will kick in some support as well.

One (relatively) cheap enticement for contributions could be the promise of color-correct switch-paddles, which are hard to get now, but could be ordered in the correct colors in bulk.

Yes, I've talked with Thomas about that and he said in bulk you can get the color matched paddles. Blue I believe was the color he doesn't have currently.

Full Size Altair?

Full Size Altair?

I've been using this site for years, and personally knowing Erik makes this the ideal place do drop this bomb. This has been in the works for a while and Todd and I have a tentative agreement where I'm going to purchase IMSAI IP and remaining inventory including the prototype's and info for the series 2. Vince Briel

Does this mean you're delaying or even cancelling a full-sized S-100 Altair replica? I hope not.

Does this mean you're delaying or even cancelling a full-sized S-100 Altair replica? I hope not.

No, although it does seem like a conflict of interest, huh? LOL, well, actually, the IMSAI case could help get the Altair case ready since I could retro fit the Altair to the front of that. It would be a little different but not that much.

Hi again,

I guess I was not aware of the "full size Altair" project.
Are you picking up from Mr. Stockly on the Altair Kit and the Altair 680 Kit, also?
I have often dreamed of having an Altair 680, and I found the Altair680Kit web site too late to get in on his second batch. Everything there seem to have gone silent since.

smp

Not to step on toes or belittle Vince's project (wasn't aware either, but I'm sure it will be great!) but Grant does have it planned to resume production again soon. He's been somewhat active on his forums lately as well and they've been working (delegating) some spam clean up. Not that there isn't welcome room for more replicas :)

I'll enthusiastically second those thoughts, Barythrin!

Along with all the new S-100 boards being designed and produced by Andrew Lynch, John Monahan and others, an S-100 IMSAI would be exactly what I am hoping for.

smp

Hi! Assuming Vince is successful in acquiring the IMSAI rights, there is no reason why the S100computers/N8VEM boards could not be offered along with the new machine. The boards are meant for hobbyists and all the information is free and publicly posted. I only get some PCBs for builders who source their own parts and assemble. However if Vince chose to use the boards as kit builds or even pre-assembled there is nothing stopping him AFAIK.

Personally, I have no interest in kits or pre-assembled boards though as it runs against the purpose (home brew computing) aspects of the hobby from my perspective. Others may feel differently though.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

PS, one thing I am curious about though is the status of the Howard Harte integrated IO S-100 board. Is that part of IMSAI II or a separate project? Is there anything left of it which could be recovered? It sure would be nice if it weren't lost to the mists of history like so many other S-100 boards have done.

http://www.s100computers.com/Hardware Folder/Harte Super IO Controller/History/History.htm

Back