• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Announcing the reboot of IMSAI and the IMSAI series 2 systems

Not to step on toes or belittle Vince's project (wasn't aware either, but I'm sure it will be great!) but Grant does have it planned to resume production again soon. He's been somewhat active on his forums lately as well and they've been working (delegating) some spam clean up. Not that there isn't welcome room for more replicas :)

That's great news! I poke in on his site sometimes to see if there are updates but it has been nothing but spam. Always room for more. It's not a competition, it's a hobby. Nobody gets rich doing this unless you own an original Apple 1.

Not to step on toes or belittle Vince's project (wasn't aware either, but I'm sure it will be great!) but Grant does have it planned to resume production again soon. He's been somewhat active on his forums lately as well and they've been working (delegating) some spam clean up...

Well, I have been over there on the Stockly Forum, and except for the "announcement" that he was thinking about re-starting things that was posted back on June 8 (with silence ever since) it does not really look like there is anything going on.

I have sent Mr. Stockly an e-mail message indicating my interest in purchasing an Altair 680 Replica kit (as well as my offer for help with the web site), but I've received no acknowledgement or reply. Too bad. I have had a dream to own an Altair 680 since 1976, when I could not obtain one from my local computer store, and I "settled" for the Altair 8800.

Long ago, in the early 2000s, I had put a deposit in with Todd Fischer for an IMSAI Series II, and then waited as the years went by, only to learn of Todd's personal difficulties as they finally came out on the web site. Over that time we also learned that some components on Howard Harte's Super I/O board went end-of-life with no replacements, and everything kind of shut down. In the last year, I sent Todd $100 for the IMSAI System Manual that he was offering, just to have a complete set of documentation, and hoping that my meager purchase might help out a tiny bit. I got the manual promptly, and it is great. I certainly wish Todd all the best.

Anyway, this may be the best hope yet of actually obtaining one of the classic dream machines, capable of working in the old S-100 fashion but made more robustly than the available 35 year old hardware.

smp

Last edited:
Hey Vbriel,
I love my IMSAI 8080, I have yet to give a kick to it other than the new toggles ( Have yet to have the time to do anything with new summer work and other projects) . I would love to support you in your next kickstarting project. I will follow this to the best of my ability so when the project is started I could pitch in what I can. I have respect for you! Can't wait to hear more on this hope to be reading a post soon!

Back