• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Another cheap (US) cell phone plan

Chuck(G)

25k Member
I don't have a lot of need for cell coverage; all of my at-home work is done using VoIP. So I've been using Tracfone for a couple of years. Their support really sucked, however--and their prices for unlimited coverage were no bargain.
I live in the coverage boonies. On a good day, I get a bar and a half of 3G. Mobile internet was impossible--can't even get an account statement. (Yes, I have WiFi turned on, but Tracfone seems to want to prefer charging against their data plans before using WiFi).
I just picked up Tello. I can get unlimited text and voice (no data) for $8/month or less with promo deals). They're basically a T-mobile reseller. My phone is set to use Wifi for both voice and internet and it works very well.
Thus far, I'm pretty happy with them. For those in a similar situation, FYI.

I tried tello out back in March at $9/month. I was about to switch fully to it from Tmobile, when I realized I was actually on a grandfathered plan that they upgraded to unlimited data, still at a lower monthly rate than the plans they normally sell. I decided since given circumstances, I could go ahead and use Tmobile for a little longer, in case I have to be remote, but still within the network that I need to use Tmobile for internet. Things may change in a few months, and I could go for tello again.

Back