• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Another day, another Ebay purchase

Gary C

Veteran Member
So there I was, realising that both custom ULA's on a pair of Texas Peripheral drives from a TRS80 model 4 had failed, that I gave the dreaded Ebay a scan and found a couple of Tandon TM100-2A drives but oddly listed in a music equipment listing at £10 each. Snapped them up of course but also thought it might be worth seeing what else the seller had.

There was an interesting 'unknown' motherboard for a further £10 and at a brief look, it seemed to be a Rainbow 100 chassis with an interesting card attached. Shame it wasn't the colour graphics card, but it is the hard drive card I have been looking for which coupled to an RD52 I have lying about could be a nice addition.

Just hope it all arrives safely.

Musing on an ADM 3A for the museum as I need to get a Terminal working so I can play with all the S100 systems we seem to be accumulating. Screen looks in very good condition, nice and bright and stable (maybe a retube in its near past) but the screen is filling with 0's on startup and clear screen.
Looking at the character set, its obvious that bit 5 is stuck high as thats the only different bit between a space and a 0.

Whats this in the line to bit 5 ? a switch to 5v which is labelled norm/fill. Ah Ha, someone has switched the terminal to test :)

I like it when the fix is simple, but still requires a bit of thinking and drawing poking.

So for an update

The board arrived and fitted nicely (sort of) into the rainbows chassis, but its not a rainbow but a DECMATE II motherboard which is a micro LSI version of the PDP/8 which seems a bit excessive :)

Appears to work fine.

Back