• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Another FedEx Casualty, needs new-ish CRT

unklstewy

Good Morning,

I thought I would share my latest casualty and put out a request for a new to me at least RCA 12VCLP4 CRT.

I purchased a Model III 26-1062 via an ebay auction. In the Auction photos the CRT was intact. It was only missing the 'C' keycap.

I needed a CRT for another Model III so I bid on the unit in hopes for a working CRT and HV board. Alas FED-EX seems to have used my poor Trash 80 as a deadlift weight and roared and beat thier chest as it slammed back to earth. (Dramatization)

Would there be anyone on this list with a spare CRT that would be willing to trade or sale? Also a CRT mount wouldn't go amiss either. I am going to try to repair the one I have but, the plastics are pretty brittle all the same. Three of the four tube mounts were broken off.

-Casey

Attachments

• IMG_20221130_152033.jpg
    IMG_20221130_152033.jpg
    872.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20221201_083758.jpg
    20221201_083758.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
  • 20221201_083808.jpg
    20221201_083808.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
  • 20221201_083818.jpg
    20221201_083818.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
It's getting to the point where I'd have to warn *anyone* against having a classic system shipped to you by an eBay seller. Almost guaranteed to arrive in pieces due mostly to clueless packing jobs. Used to be the exception, but now is the rule. It's difficult and costly to properly pack one of these fragile old boxes and few sellers know or care about the details.

Without seeing how it was packed, I would not blame FedEx for it. If it was loose in the box as shown in picture 1, it never had any chance to survive shipping, no matter how.

The most important thing is to put a CRT upside-down into the box.

Without seeing how it was packed, I would not blame FedEx for it. If it was loose in the box as shown in picture 1, it never had any chance to survive shipping, no matter how.

I would agree. UPS is usually the one who damages boxes, however if it is propperly packed Fedex does a good job. They are my goto now because of that. We see no evidence this was packed well at all. Shame. The case and plastics can be epoxied but you will need a new CRT. I wouldnt touch it until your return/refund claim is finished though. And I wouldnt offer to buy it either as its thier fault and they should just give you the "junk"free instead of paying return shipping.

The packing job was actually better than most. It was cocooned in 1/2" diameter bubble wrap and the sides padded with additional folds of 3 layers of bubble wrap.

Unfortunately, there weren't any additional precautions taken internally to the Model 3.

I try to use expanding foam packets when I ship a CRT. More work, but worth the effort.

-Casey

Picture 1 was meant to show that despite all of the bubble wrap that the box must have been dropped because it crushed all of the corrugated fins in the bottom of the box and almost pushed through.

I would agree. UPS is usually the one who damages boxes, however if it is propperly packed Fedex does a good job. They are my goto now because of that. We see no evidence this was packed well at all. Shame. The case and plastics can be epoxied but you will need a new CRT. I wouldnt touch it until your return/refund claim is finished though. And I wouldnt offer to buy it either as its thier fault and they should just give you the "junk"free instead of paying return shipping.
Normally, I agree with you. UPS did a number on my Zilog S8000 M20 shipment as well, also 8n dispute.

I tend to drive up to 220 miles or so for local pickups if I can, but wasn't an option for the mini-computer or the Model 3

It's getting to the point where I'd have to warn *anyone* against having a classic system shipped to you by an eBay seller. Almost guaranteed to arrive in pieces due mostly to clueless packing jobs. Used to be the exception, but now is the rule. It's difficult and costly to properly pack one of these fragile old boxes and few sellers know or care about the details.
10/10 I should have known better, but all of the Model 3's listed locally were priced at or above 550.00. I bought the ebay unit for $200. Although it's probably a wash once I repair the bezel, clean out the surface rust on the shielding and buy a new CRT.

Lessons learned.

-Casey

I am currently trying to fix both of my model III's. I bought them both in person. I wondered about shipping. Thankfully I have no plans on selling mine but if I had to I can see it would be a nightmare. Shipping the monitors facedown would require and elaborate rig of packing material and even then it would be risky.

I try to use expanding foam packets when I ship a CRT. More work, but worth the effort.
Where have you found those packets at a reasonable price? From time to time I've looked into them, but all the vendors require a larger minimum order than I'd ever use or charge way too much - or both.

I'd love to have one of those guns that shoots expanding foam. Just put plastic around the unit and fill everything else with foam. Years ago I had a local moving and storage company pack and ship some delicate electronic test gear using that approach. Last I looked no one in the area offers this.

The weak point of these machines is that the CRT is held onto the upper case by plastic pillars. So a drop shock will break them and them the CRT is bouncing around in the case. When shipping they need a ton of impact absorption underneath.

I am so sorry your TRS-80 was shipped by someone with no idea of this. Alas I only have my 1 Model III and I need it's crt even if its a bit tired. There used to be a good source of crts but I think they are becoming harder and harder to find.

The weak point of these machines is that the CRT is held onto the upper case by plastic pillars.

Thats All CRTs. TRS-80s dont use very/good strong plastic and thats the issue. Most monitors if shipped CORRECTLY can survive a long ship. Certain plastics CANNOT. A mid 90's macintosh monitor for instance can barely be picked up with barehands before crumbling.

Where have you found those packets at a reasonable price? From time to time I've looked into them, but all the vendors require a larger minimum order than I'd ever use or charge way too much - or both.

I'd love to have one of those guns that shoots expanding foam. Just put plastic around the unit and fill everything else with foam. Years ago I had a local moving and storage company pack and ship some delicate electronic test gear using that approach. Last I looked no one in the area offers this.
Previously, I worked for a systems engineering firm and we packed everything in expanding foam. I would just buy a few from the shipping department.

When can't get my hands on the packets I cheat, I use thermal seal bags and expanding foam in a can.

It isn't the cleanest way of doing it, but if I can protect sommething fragile (it's Italian), I will do what I need to do.

-Casey

Back