• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Another New Gaming PC

That's pretty much what I did. Most games to me are boring. I hate 1st person shooters. I played Wow too long and it gets boring when you have
great gear and then an expansion comes out and your gear is now crap and you have to get new gear all over. Not sure what I'd like to see come out.
But most of what I see I don't care to try. So my gamer doesn't get used much any more.
We're pretty much on the opposite spectrum as first person shooter is what I like.

Thus like I said I don't get the best and save money: Similar to your "purchase the best I can afford". I might normally try for the best GPU but with prices as they
are I just can't do that. I'd say every 5 years I might upgrade or build a new machine.
Hey Tradde, I don't want to save money I want the best I can get at the going rates. What I did in my thread was lay out what my new build was all about and I don't need to justify my outlay to you or anyone else. Please MYOFB!

Most gamers have gone through yearly upgrades for the hottest gear at some time for another, mine was in the 90's to 2000ish when I quit.

PC progress in the 90s was insane. If your machine was more than a couple years old, any new game would be a slideshow. I'm glad that's no longer the case. My "gaming" PC is 9 years old and still runs everything. Not with all the settings maxed out of course, but that's fine.

I don't game (at least not on the computer) and purchase and use whatever works well until it doesn't. My daily driver is a quad-core Socket AM3. I see no reason to upgrade yet. And my system still has a legacy floppy!
I'm kind of the same way about my 2013 Camaro 2SS convertible. It only has about 15K miles on it - less than 2K per year. The engine has been reworked with a COMP Cam, ported and polished heads, custom rockers, springs and lifters, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, electric exhaust cutouts, custom fuel system and a Procharger supercharger. Presently does about 566 RWHP on the dyno and a small rework on the intake I hope to hit 600 RWHP this coming spring. Why would a person do this? I don't need it - just wanted it. Same with my gaming PC's. Different strokes for different folks and I like to share my experiences once in a while. BTW, the engine work was done by MotorCity Speed/Billy Briggs Racing.

Last edited:
Building a high-performance rig, then optimizing it to be even faster, is a meta-game unto itself.
Time really flies. We had a similar discussion back in 2015 and talked about that new Asus Z170 motherboard being able to update the BIOS without a CPU or RAM installed. State of the art video card back then was the Nvidia 1080 and one of the better CPU's was the I7-6700K. Great setup for its time.

I sold that mobo and chip but am still using the Seasonic 850 and 1080 on a W7 system. I did build an interim X570 board with a 5900X and a 3080ti. Haven't decided on what to do with all of that.

Hey Tradde, I don't want to save money I want the best I can get at the going rates. What I did in my thread was lay out what my new build was all about and I don't need to justify my outlay to you or anyone else. Please MYOFB!
Why don't you mind yours. I was just commenting on how I don't spend every last dollar on a gaming machine. Fine, spend $10k or more on yours. It's still a free world as far as I know and I can disagree with you. MYOFB yourself.

Why don't you mind yours. I was just commenting on how I don't spend every last dollar on a gaming machine. Fine, spend $10k or more on yours. It's still a free world as far as I know and I can disagree with you. MYOFB yourself.
I started the this thread so I am "minding my own business". I didn't spend every last dollar as I budgeted for the hardware and it didn't cost anywhere near 10K. If you have an ax to grind with gamers' preferences, you should open your own thread and not belittle those of us who are not as frugal or out of touch as you seem to be with the current state of the hobby.

You don't OWN the thread dude. It's a forum where people are allowed to comment. Get down off your high horse once in awhile and breathe some real air. I did not belittle you so you don't seem to know what that even means. Gee, I am sure glad you have an open mind.

Phanteks makes some of the best looking and high quality cases for the money, in my opinion.

I have several PCs in Phanteks cases including an i9 9900k in an evolve case, and a dual Xeon v4 workstation in the Enthoo Loo.

If you love the look, you’ll also love how well they’re built. They’re as solid as they look good.

Hah. I have 64 in my gamer. Now I feel better. :)
Pffff, I have 256 GB in my HP DL369 G9 dual CPU machine.

OK, now the serious stuff. I'm not a hardcore gamer but I like to play games from time to time. My favorite: Freelancer using the Discovery mod. But what I wonder about: would my HP turn into a extra ordanary gaming machine if I put a state of art video and sound card in it? Or do I miss things? Pure curiosity.

Where do you put the floppy drives in one of those?
No floppy's and no CD-ROM's. It's all USB now, and when you install your OS (Windows) that will be from Microsoft site utilizing the Microsoft Media Creation Tool. I do have a USB CD-ROM, but I only use it for archiving this and that. Most, if not all games these days, are downloaded through various vendor sites and Steam. With the absence of the floppy, full size HD, and CD-ROM, one now has ample space for the various liquid cooling pumps and fan assemblies which are more or less needed if you plan to game full tilt. My video card, the MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X, as the name implies, comes with a factory integrated liquid cooler and external fan assembly. Some opt for CPU liquid coolers but my setup uses the Noctura fan assembly which I believe to be superior, having gone both ways, past and present . The downside of the Noctura, if you have a smaller case, is its size, as it takes up quite a bit of real estate.

A1.jpg

You don't OWN the thread dude. It's a forum where people are allowed to comment. Get down off your high horse once in awhile and breathe some real air. I did not belittle you so you don't seem to know what that even means. Gee, I am sure glad you have an open mind.
Please accept my apologies as I shouldn't have made my comments personal. Not a good way to start the new year.

Please accept my apologies as I shouldn't have made my comments personal. Not a good way to start the new year.
Accepted. And please accept mine too. I often get snarky at times and should do better not do do so. Hard to change at my age. :)

Pffff, I have 256 GB in my HP DL369 G9 dual CPU machine.

OK, now the serious stuff. I'm not a hardcore gamer but I like to play games from time to time. My favorite: Freelancer using the Discovery mod. But what I wonder about: would my HP turn into a extra ordanary gaming machine if I put a state of art video and sound card in it? Or do I miss things? Pure curiosity.
Considering this is a game from 20 years ago I doubt you'd lose much. But it's hard to say without trying. What frame rate do you get today as is? Anything over 30 is acceptable as that is the standard for US TV. I prefer 60 and above. Just seems smoother.

I kind of miss the 5.25" external drive bays in cases since I still have a bunch of games on CD/DVD. The Corsair 750D case I have still has drive bays plus tons of room for water cooling.

The newest machine I have with a floppy drive in is a LGA 1366 based machine I stuck in an old P3 HP server case that has a 3.5" bay molded in the front. Windows 7 detects it.

Back