• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Another New Gaming PC

Considering this is a game from 20 years ago I doubt you'd lose much. But it's hard to say without trying. What frame rate do you get today as is? Anything over 30 is acceptable as that is the standard for US TV. I prefer 60 and above. Just seems smoother.
Here's a set of benches right after I installed the MSI RTX4090 Suprim Liquid X video card. There is no overclock on the setup as of yet, and the video card will not be overclocked. There are some adjustments to be made in the BIOS but nothing crazy.

Time Spy 2023-01-04 132007.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-08 012300.jpg
The above is from Assassins Creed: Valhalla

Screenshot 2023-01-04 125134.jpg
I have a screenshot of the Endwalker hitting over 40K but misplaced it. Too much running in the background on this.

But, as you asked this setup can hit over 200 FPS in most of my high end games without throttling and heat issues. Some folks tune these system like a fine watch, but I'm not into all of that.

Last edited:
That is impressive for over 200 FPS.
I started this build back in October and pretty much had it all together by mid November except for the 4090, which were for the most part only available through the scalpers on eBay. With the new build and the old 3090ti video card those benches were a little less than half. Now, where this thing really exceeds is when I'm using the Asus ROG 27" 4K monitor on high-end games. The 4090 can really shove the pixels around with all setting maxed out including ray tracing. When I look at Leisure Suit Larry on my 1000SX, they've come a long long way.

I just wish decent cases weren't $300+. I have no trouble spending market money for market items (CPU, memory, storage), but $300+ for a case seems a little nuts when $40 cases I bought 15 years ago had everything I need (except USB 3 ports).

I just wish decent cases weren't $300+. I have no trouble spending market money for market items (CPU, memory, storage), but $300+ for a case seems a little nuts when $40 cases I bought 15 years ago had everything I need (except USB 3 ports).
I already posted a $140 case that meets your requirements. If you want something even cheaper you can get the Antec VSK4000E-U3 for $70. But you get what you pay for.

A couple of my AM3+ systems use HP Vectra desktop (not towers) cases with different PSUs. One has an LS120 drive as a floppy. Front panel USB and SATA comes from a 5.25" HH module. Besides, USB hubs are cheap.

Up front USB 3 ports make installing an OS (or just moving files) much faster and easier than having to find a USB 3 port in the back of the case or a USB 2 port in front.

Am curious as to what monitor you have on it now? You mentioned a Viewsonic but that seems to be a 1440p model. Do you have a 4k capable monitor? Do any games actually make use of 4k yet? The last time I looked they really did not. So that was why I chose a 1440p monitor over a 4k capable one.

Am curious as to what monitor you have on it now? You mentioned a Viewsonic but that seems to be a 1440p model. Do you have a 4k capable monitor? Do any games actually make use of 4k yet? The last time I looked they really did not. So that was why I chose a 1440p monitor over a 4k capable one.
I've had a Asus ROG 27" 4K monitor since 2015 or so. There are games like Assassins Creed: Valhalla, Cyber Punk 2077, Red Dead 2. etc. that will do 4K. But my 27" ViewSonic Elite XG271QG does 2560x1440 with a 240 Hz refresh rate, and I think it looks way better than my Asus 4K monitor. I'm not inclined to switch back, but I do use the Asus on my W7 gamer. The W7 gamer by the way, does all DX11 games and even Cyber Punk 2077 which was specially ported back to work with DX11. I may have been lucky on the ViewSonic as it goes for about $899, but I caught it on sale at the MicroCenter for $399. The color on the ViewSonic is gorgeous and plays real well with the 4090.

I don't know if I'm ready to pay the premium for a really good 4K monitor; my eyes are fine with a WQHD. A few more vertical lines aren't going to make much of a difference to me.

That's quite a deal you got for that 240Hz monitor. I went with a Acer Predator 27" WQHD (2560 x 1440) back in 2016 and am still happy with it. Yours sounds pretty sweet too but I don't need 4k (yet).

Pffff, I have 256 GB in my HP DL369 G9 dual CPU machine.

OK, now the serious stuff. I'm not a hardcore gamer but I like to play games from time to time. My favorite: Freelancer using the Discovery mod. But what I wonder about: would my HP turn into a extra ordanary gaming machine if I put a state of art video and sound card in it? Or do I miss things? Pure curiosity.
256GB? Pfffff

6336D0F4-6117-4E23-9544-8AE158D3230D.jpeg

I’m working to replace the 32GB modules with 64GB modules, for 1TB of DDR 4 RAM.

To answer your question about gaming on your HP, it likely will stutter with most games. Even the highest performance Xeon has fairly low single thread performance and clock speeds. Most games don’t benefit from lots of cores they benefit from 4 cores at high speed.

Back