• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Another round of XT-IDE V2 PCBs?

NobodyIsHere

Veteran Member
Hi
I am still getting requests for XT-IDE V2 PCBs and am considering doing another round. If there are 20+ "firm" requests this is probably doable. If you are interested please send me an email at LYNCHAJ@YAHOO.COM with "XT-IDE" in the subject. Everything would be the same as the previous batch.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Hi

There are about 18 boards for builders in the wait queue for XT-IDE V2 PCBs. There has to be a minimum of 20 "firm" requests (preferably more) to make a PCB manufacturing order viable so if you are interested in getting an XT-IDE V2 PCB please send me an email. These are the Do-It-Yourself PCBs using the old school plated through hole construction for easy assembly using your own parts. Please see the wiki article for more information.

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showwiki.php?title=XTIDE+Rev2

If cost is an issue, you can leave much of the board unpopulated and still have a functioning XT-IDE board. This version includes the "chuck mod" and other improvements over the original. The PCBs will be the same as the last couple of XT-IDE V2 rounds.

Thanks and have a happy holidays!

Andrew Lynch

PS, the cost would be the same as before: $12 per PCB with $2 shipping in the US and $5 elsewhere. Shipping is USPS first class parcel with no tracking unless you specify otherwise. The builder assumes all risks and the boards are "as is". The XT-IDE project is by hobbyists for other hobbyists on a non-commercial basis.

Last edited:
Hi!
There is enough builders to make this work so I will go ahead and get another batch. There will be enough for everyone who signed up plus a few who didn't. The PCBs should be here in about three weeks.

Andrew Lynch

Hi! Good news!

The XT-IDE V2 PCBs have arrived. I am sending out the PCBs to the builders on the waiting list and will give them a couple of days.

The remaining boards will be available here after they get their boards.

The PCBs are $12 each plus $2 shipping in the US and $5 elsewhere.

There are plenty of PCBs available so please get as many as you would like.

Please send a PayPal to LYNCHAJ@YAHOO.COM with “XT-IDE” in the title.

Please include your current shipping address in the PayPal.

The PCBs will be sent regular USPS first class postage without any tracking numbers and the builder assumes all risk of delivery.

If you want special shipping options such as package registration, tracking numbers, insurance, etc. please contact me to make arrangements.

It will cost extra and may be worthwhile in certain circumstances.

All of the packages I have sent so far have arrived safely but if you are aware of any “risk of delivery” issues please let me know beforehand.

Any packages with more than a couple of PCBs should at least have the delivery confirmation option which costs about $1 in the US.

After a couple days, I will post another announcement on here, CCTALK, comp.os.cpm, N8VEM mailing lists etc. to offer the remainder of the PCBs to send these to other builders.

Thank you very much for participating in the N8VEM home brew computing project.

Have a happy holidays! Andrew Lynch

Hi

If you are planning on getting an XT-IDE V2 PCB you should do so soon.

The stack is shrinking fast and there are only eleven (11) PCBs remaining.

Please contact me at LYNCHAJ@YAHOO.COM if interested.

Andrew Lynch

Hi

An update; there are 10 XT-IDE V2 PCBs left.

Andrew Lynch

Hi
All of the XT-IDE V2 PCBs have gone to their builders. However I am getting more emails requesting another batch.

If you are looking for the XT-IDE V2 PCBs please send me an email at LYNCHAJ@YAHOO.COM with XT-IDE in the subject.

Once there are enough requests to make an order viable I will place another order.

These are the Do-It-Yourself all plated through hole parts PCBs that you build yourself. No kits or assembled units are available.

They include the "chuck mod" and UART for remote booting.

Andrew Lynch

PS these are the "classic" XT-IDE V2 design. No SMT, CPLD, 8-bit, or CF socket. You can use a CF to IDE adapter though. It is just the IDE controller, boot ROM, and serial port for remote booting.

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showwiki.php?title=XTIDE+Rev2

Last edited:
I would say that label D800h at the picture of P11 in third row is misleading. It should actually read D000h. And little wish, maybe could the builder add weights of the jumpers to address and IDE I/O settings pictures.

Hi
Yes, on the schematic the UART and ROM BIOS sections are Do-Not-Populate because they are optional. Most builders add the ROM but only a few really need the UART.

Andrew Lynch

Hi

Numerous builders have requested more XT-IDE V2 PCBs so I ordered another batch. They should be here in late Mar 2013.

These will be identical to the previous batches. They are $12 each plus $2 shipping in the US and $5 elsewhere.

Due to changes at the USPS I may have to increase shipping costs. I will post more information once I know what the new prices are.

Andrew Lynch

Hi
Yes, on the schematic the UART and ROM BIOS sections are Do-Not-Populate because they are optional. Most builders add the ROM but only a few really need the UART.

Andrew Lynch

Are there any other components that can be left out? Like, can this be used as let's say an "XT-IDE V1 board" but with power to drive DoMs? Just wondering, because just leaving out the UART, would lead me to think the support chips for the UART can also be left out... but maybe I'm talking BS here, since I do know how to solder, not how to read schematics ;-) :oops:

I'd like to build an XT-IDE V1 board for use in my Model 30 286, that's why I'm asking... and since V1 PCBs aren't available anymore I was wondering what the cheapest way would be to build a controller that just makes it possible to use a 32MB DoM in an IBM Model 30 286...

I'd like to build an XT-IDE V1 board for use in my Model 30 286, that's why I'm asking... and since V1 PCBs aren't available anymore I was wondering what the cheapest way would be to build a controller that just makes it possible to use a 32MB DoM in an IBM Model 30 286...

Model 30 286 has an 16-bit ISA, so why not to use regular IDE card? I think Jameco was selling AT IDE + FDC cards really cheap. Another option is to use a sound card with an IDE interface (just make sure it is not a PnP card).
Not sure though if the BIOS will support IDE disks (probably it won't)... so you'll still need some card to put the Universal IDE BIOS extension ROM. If you have a network card, that could be an option.

Hi! The XT-IDE V2 PCBs will be here soon. They will cost the same as before ($12 each). However due to unforeseen extreme price increases in shipping by USPS I am forced to change shipping costs.

Shipping in the US will be $3 for a single PCB and $2 for each additional PCB. Shipping internationally will be $10 for a single PCB and $3 for each additional PCB. This is for the bare basics USPS first class postage with no tracking or insurance. The builder assumes all risk of delivery as per usual arrangement.

I apologize for the large price increase on shipping but this is out of my hands. The USPS is in dire financial trouble and is raising prices on shipping. It affects us all and is most unfortunate. These boards are provided "at cost" so there is no margin to absorb any shipping price increases. I have to pass them along.

If you would still like an XT-IDE V2 PCB please send a PayPal for $12 plus shipping as appropriate to LYNCHAJ@YAHOO.COM and I will send them out ASAP.

Andrew Lynch

PS, please be sure to have your *current* shipping address in your PayPal along with "XT-IDE V2" in the subject line. Please include your VCF screen name as well to help keep the conversation straight.

Hi! Good news! The XT-IDE V2 PCBs have arrived! Feel free to send a PayPal noting the new shipping above.

Andrew Lynch

Hi! There are about 28 XT-IDE V2 PCBs left. At least 10 are committed at the moment.

If you are looking for one or more of these PCBs they are available now.

Andrew Lynch

Hi Andrew
I have a V2 board that I bought from you a while back and have not built yet due to lack of parts. Can you tell me what parts I can leave off if I don't want to implement the UART? Sorry to hijack on your last post.!

Hi! Thanks! The parts you can omit in the XT-IDE V2 are noted in the Do-Not-Populate sections of the schematic.

Have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Hi! There are eleven (11) XT-IDE V2 PCBs remaining. Possibly two are already spoken for and I will sort that out soon.

If anyone would like to get an XT-IDE V2 PCB please send me an email at LYNCHAJ@YAHOO.COM

Better yet, just send the PayPal following the instructions earlier in this thread and I will send your board(s) right away!

Andrew Lynch

Back