• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Any interest in AS/400s and/or PC Server 704s from Germany?

WBST

Veteran Member
I'm currently involved in acquiring/disposing of the truly huge collection of a, sadly deceased, former "MCA Mafia" member from the comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware NewsGroup.

The current owners have little or no clue nor desire to learn about some of the truly monstrous system units, so "we" (my financial partner and I) have become involved in detailing the individual systems and trying to save the majority from being scrapped as "useless and too big/heavy".

10 x PC Server 704s
3 x AS/400s

PM me for info. or with requests for timescales and other considerations.

Man, I've been looking for a 704 for awhile now, but shipping all the way from Europe to the States would likely just be too costly to justify, even for an IBM nut like me.

Well, I'd be interested in the AS/400s depending on which model and whether they came with OS software. I posted here some time ago (Nov. of '19) asking for advice about which iSeries to obtain and the answers were helpful. I particularly appreciated the advice of mbbrutman who responded, in part:

"My personal choice for an AS/400 would be an older 150 model (compact deskside) or an 820 model (fat deskside). The 820s were very capable machines, and could even be partitioned to run Linux as a guest of OS/400. The key thing is going to be license keys for the OS, compilers and other software."

He also suggested software is specific to model runs and that "Hard drives were SCSI and were formatted to 520 bytes per sector. You need hard drives with a specific AS/400 firmware and VPD on them."

Any details on your lot? Thanks,

-CH-

Back