• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Any interest in C64 Super Snapshot v5 DIY PCBs?

They are small enough, they might go OK in a standard envelope by weight. I sent an 5.25" disk to California in cardboard for $3 from here.
It seems that I can send up to 3oz in a standard envelope for $1.20 USD, plus another $0.21 USD for non-machinable. I guess I'll give it a shot if you want - but no refunds if it disappears.. reach me as drlegendre at Google's mail service.

I did an order of these at OSHPark in April of 2020 (3 PCBs for $44). I built up a board and it did not work. I tested all the chips with a chip tester and by swapping chips with my original SS5 that I own. I could not get it to work. I built a 2nd one and got the same result. The C64 would black screen with these in. I sat on these for a while because I lost interest in trying to diagnose the problem. Then I read something online about checking the PCBs for shorts as a few other C64 users that build PCB kits found that their OSHPark PCBs were shorted. I tested mine and sure enough all 3 had shorted traces even though you could not tell anything by looking at them. It did not occur to me that the PCBs or that all 3 could be bad as I have never run into this in the past.

I put in an order with JLCPCB for 10 for $24, ENIG and beveled card edge and $10 for shipping (with another batch of 10 PCBs for another C64 cart). It only took a little over a week to get. I removed the components from the bad boards and soldered them into the new boards (After testing for shorts) and they worked perfectly.

I think it is reasonable to offer them up for others to have since some of us don't need 10 Super Snapshots or other projects. The only reason I did 10 instead of 5 was because it was the same price so why not have extras in case one of my friends or fellow users online ever wants one but doesn't want to hassle with ordering a batch. Also, someone doesn't have to wait weeks to get one.
I placed an order with OSH Park last month for 3 of these boards as well and found that 2 of them had all sorts of shorts on them. They claimed it was because their fab provider had dialed back the AOI. They are sending me 3 replacements that should be arriving today. But given the quality control issues, I doubt I'll use them again. For more complicated boards, I don't think I want to be spending time testing them for shorts. I'd like to feel that my PCB provider has already accounted for that and OSH Park doesn't give me that level of confidence.

I placed an order with OSH Park last month for 3 of these boards as well and found that 2 of them had all sorts of shorts on them. They claimed it was because their fab provider had dialed back the AOI. They are sending me 3 replacements that should be arriving today. But given the quality control issues, I doubt I'll use them again. For more complicated boards, I don't think I want to be spending time testing them for shorts. I'd like to feel that my PCB provider has already accounted for that and OSH Park doesn't give me that level of confidence.
Well I received the 3 replacement boards from OSH Park and all 3 were bad. Shorts all over the place. Won't be using them again.

C128Guy & Retroninja,

Glad to hear they got through fine. Sometimes the temps at USPS don't quite understand all the rules and end up returning these packets for another $2+ postage.

Fortunately that's not been a problem recently, but in the peak of the COVID, it happened several times.

If you have one sitting around... I am happy to snag one from you also.... (I think my user level is also still too low to PM but eh.... we shall see)

Received mine yesterday (up here in Canada). Nicely shipped in envelope with cardboard. Thank you!

Back