• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

any interest in teal SGI Indigo 2's?

Chris2005

Banned
arguably off-topic I guess, but I have a few of these I'm going to have to say goodbye to. No OS, although there's supposedly a license attached to each machine (good luck obtaining the cds though. SGI might charge you an arm and a leg, but I'm not real sure how that's supposed to work). Each will have at least 1 2 gig hard drive, and some sort of cd-rom drive (perhaps requiring caddy's...not to worry though, I found a stack of them).

Asking $25 each. E-mails are best. Actual shipping by whatever carrier you choose.

I had to send 4 of them to the recycler in April.

And I was GIVING them away! And they were NICELY configured:

R4400/250
256Mb RAM
9Gb Drive
SCSI CDROM
Extreme Graphics
Irix 6.5.18 full install, clear root passwd.

I only kept one - Extreme, R4400/250,384MB RAM, 18GB, 6.5.19 or .20, CD

Unfortunately, the purple R10000/195 with MaxImpact is like WORLDS better than the teal ones. Even a high impact kicks the Extreme's teeth in, as the Ex has no texture, and I don;t even think it has hardware ZBuffering.

I would LOVE to find a big@ss Onyx 2 though - IR2 graphics, yum yum yum
4xR1000's, 1-2Gb of RAM, toss in like 4 x 18GB drives...

Talk about your space heaters

BTW, if anyone needs a copy of it, I have Irix 6.2, 6.5.10, 6.5.18, and 6.5.21 (I think it's .21)

Oh, and the only way you can get Irix from SGI is by getting a support contract. Last time we checked it was like $600-1000 minimum...and that was like a rinky-dink Indy or something!

Tony

so what are you *supposed* to do if you have an old SGI and no OS? I've heard that *surplus* cd's aren't legal to buy or sell (like on ebay) but SGI has done nothing to police the activity. What would they tell me to do (?) if I called them?

It wouldn't be eBay frowning - it'd be SGI frowning.

But, then, wih so many auctions, how the heck can they keep up anyway????

Tony

well...it wouldn't take much. There aren't tons of disk sets that I've seen, and I've been looking every so often for about a year. They probably just don't care that much.
I bought my first copy of Windows NT Workstation 4.0 from a vendor in Virginia I think some time ago. It was an OEM pack. So I called M$ just curious to see what their reaction would be. I can't remember what the answer was, but the dude asked me "Who is the vendor!" with slight excitement in his voice. Being a kind hearted fool, I said I didn't have their name right in front of me. So not everybody is militant about policing "their" policies.
So would it be illegal to buy IRIX cd's from someone just because SGI don't like it. Or the OEM packs of Winers whatever? I have WXP in about 20 different languages by the way. OF COURSE I can't sell them, but I was wondering if I could give them away.

Regarding the I2's, I probably forgot to mention I don't have the SGI keyboards or mice, but the ps/2 style will work.

I'm not saying I agree with VeRO. Just that if I have software to sell, I go somewhere else (not eBay).

Personally, i'm not too worried about Bill's money flow. Could you imagine just how much he'd have if everyone followed all the rules. He already has more than some countries entire GDP.

Back