• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Any way to bypass a password login in CompuPro Concurrent DOS?

Now that I've had some time to actually use this machine, I am LOVING that I don't have to worry about whether a program is for CP/M-86 or CP/M-80 before I load it onto the machine. If it's CP/M-86 it will just run and if it's CP/M-80 I just have to tag the file using 8BIT.BAT to make it execute correctly. The only thing I really do have to worry about is whether the software supports my terminal. I bought a Kimtron KT-7/PC off eBay and it seems to have Televideo 925 emulation and everything I've tried so far that's configurable does seem to support it.

Now that I've had some time to actually use this machine, I am LOVING that I don't have to worry about whether a program is for CP/M-86 or CP/M-80 before I load it onto the machine. If it's CP/M-86 it will just run and if it's CP/M-80 I just have to tag the file using 8BIT.BAT to make it execute correctly. The only thing I really do have to worry about is whether the software supports my terminal. I bought a Kimtron KT-7/PC off eBay and it seems to have Televideo 925 emulation and everything I've tried so far that's configurable does seem to support it.

With CompuPro CDOS 5 you can also run DOS applications with significant limitations: (a) only applications that work with PCDOS 2.1 or earlier will work and (b) the application must only do character-based input/output using standard DOS function calls. On the CompuPro CDOS master disks for the 10+ that you have, I believe they provided only one DOS application which is TIME.EXE.

With CompuPro CDOS 5 you can also run DOS applications with significant limitations: (a) only applications that work with PCDOS 2.1 or earlier will work and (b) the application must only do character-based input/output using standard DOS function calls. On the CompuPro CDOS master disks for the 10+ that you have, I believe they provided only one DOS application which is TIME.EXE.

Nice. Incidentally, do you have any idea why it's not letting me make subdirectories on the hard drive? I've tried to use MKDIR to make new directories a few times and it always says "access denied."

Nice. Incidentally, do you have any idea why it's not letting me make subdirectories on the hard drive? I've tried to use MKDIR to make new directories a few times and it always says "access denied."

You first need to make a DOS partition, which you are permitted to do on any partition except the boot partition (ie hard drive partitions B and higher). To do this, run the CompuPro utility "MAKEDOS X:" where X is the partition you want to turn into a DOS partition.

Once you have created a DOS partition, you can then run the MKDIR utility to create a DOS subdirectory.

While this is a great way to keep a lot of files organized, keep in mind that CP/M applications don't know about the concept of DOS directories. While you certainly can run a CP/M utility saved on a DOS partition and in a DOS subdirectory, should that CP/M utility require an input file you cannot use standard DOS terminology to provide the path to that input file if it resides in a different subdirectory than the application itself.

Last edited:
You first need to make a DOS partition, which you are permitted to do on any partition except the boot partition (ie hard drive partitions B and higher). To do this, run the CompuPro utility "MAKEDOS X:" where X is the partition you want to turn into a DOS partition.

Once you have created a DOS partition, you can then run the MKDIR utility to create a DOS subdirectory.

While this is a great way to keep a lot of files organized, keep in mind that CP/M applications don't know about the concept of DOS directories. While you certainly can run a CP/M utility saved on a DOS partition and in a DOS subdirectory, should that CP/M utility require an input file you cannot use standard DOS terminology to provide the path to that input file if it resides in a different subdirectory than the application itself.

Oh, that makes sense. I guess I didn't realize that native CP/M doesn't do subdirectories at all.

CP/M 2.2 had users (0-15) set by one byte, but most CP/M software didn't make use of the different users and expected all files all to be all same user. Some of the CP/M replacement systems did allow some sharing of files in user 0 with whatever user level was set.

CP/M 2.2 had users (0-15) set by one byte, but most CP/M software didn't make use of the different users and expected all files all to be all same user. Some of the CP/M replacement systems did allow some sharing of files in user 0 with whatever user level was set.
The point of CP/M "users" was to divide the disk (directory) up by "user number". It was not intended that software need to know about users. The User (operator, person running CP/M) would select which user number they wanted to "be in" at the moment, and software just looked for/created files without knowledge or consideration of the user number - the BDOS honored the user number selected by the person. CP/M 3 and MP/M (in the 8-bit world) will search user 0 for files if not found in the current user number, and many CP/M 2.2 vendors created CCPs to do the same (for commands only). PIP has options to allow you to use a different user number for source or destination, allowing convenient transfer of files between user numbers. But, application software was not expected to know about user numbers nor defeat the selected user number of the operator. FYI, CP/M 2.2 supported users 0-31, while MP/M and CP/M 3 trimmed that back to 0-15. You'll sometimes see odd thing in user numbers 16-31 if the disk was used on CP/M 3 or MP/M.

Password protection of files/disks was a separate thing, not tied to user numbers. CP/M 3 and MP/M honored password protection, although they implemented that differently and I'm not sure what would happen if you used (e.g.) an MP/M password-protected disk on CP/M 3. However, password protection was defeated if you used the disk on CP/M 2.2.

Again, it's not up to the software to make use of the user numbers, it is the operator that does that.

PLEASE look at the context of the REST of this thread.
It has NOTHING to do with 8-bit CP/M
CDOS != CP/M
Actually, CDOS is a superset of CP/M and does contain many of the filesystem concepts that originated in 8-bit CP/M. This thread has long since strayed from the original title.

Was'nt Concurrent Dos a DRI product? And did evolve from Concurrent CP/M -86 as I understand it. I'm open to correction on this.

You can get a copy of one of it's descendants here- http://www.digitalresearch.biz/Software.htm and have a play. The later IMS Real32 version 7.92 supports Fat32 file systems.

This site may be interesting to anyone interested in early personal computer operating systems in general- http://www.digitalresearch.biz/index.htm

Last edited:
This is one of the only threads here discussing the Compupro 10 and CDOS
Please LEAVE it that way
You can always start another thread ol bean. Telling another member what they can or co not post is totally wrong imho.

necro posting is against forums unless it relates the the thread topic which is:-

Any way to bypass a password login in CompuPro Concurrent DOS?​

>necro-posting
>turned up what appears to be some cdos 4.1 backup 5" floppies that may have something interesting on them
>Index of /bits/Compupro/5inch
>and also a copy of FORTH-32 for the ns32k

OMG thank you Al Kossow for the necro heads up in this thread. I've brought up Altairz80 simh once again running CompuPro Concurrent DOS 3.1 to read these Concurrent DOS 4.1 5in images and this is a gold mine !!
I don't know if this will apply to the CompuPro model 10 but EVERYTHING is in here for my CompuPro 8/16 to fully build CDOS 4.1. Again, I had to boot CDOS 3.1 to read these CDOS 4.1 disks as K: and L:
Here is the simh output of the two xios41 source disks:

CP/M 8-16 1.1Sb loader --

Loading CCPM.SYS

CompuPro XIOS Ver 3.1D
Total Memory: 1 Megabyte
4 Megabytes M-DRIVE/H active as M:
Disk 1 Controller present:
8 inch Drives as I: J:
5-1/4" Drives as K: L:
Disk 3 / Q540 unit #0 A: B: C: D: E:

Concurrent CP/M-86 3.1
Copyright (C) 1983, Digital Research
***** 3.1 DM Maintainance Release 9/3/85 *****
Concurrent CP/M 8-16 Copyright (C) 1984, 1985 CompuPro
PC Mode

XIOS, SW, SHELL, LOADER Copyright (C) 1981, 1982 1983, 1984, 1985 CompuPro.
Serial Number 0272-001837

07:36:05 A:MFORM.CMD

FORMATTING MEMORY DRIVE
0A>sdir k:
07:36:29 A:SDIR.CMD

Directory For Drive K: User 0

Name Bytes Recs Attributes Name Bytes Recs Attributes
------------ ------ ------ ------------ ------------ ------ ------ ------------
8087 LIB 12k 91 Sys RO 8087DEF A86 4k 23 Sys RO
ASCII EQU 4k 25 Sys RO BDOS CON 24k 182 Sys RO
CHRCOMM EQU 2k 4 Sys RO CIO CON 6k 47 Sys RO
COMPUPRO EQU 14k 104 Sys RO CONIN A86 2k 14 Sys RO
CONIN OBJ 2k 3 Dir RO CONOUT A86 4k 22 Sys RO
CONOUT OBJ 2k 4 Dir RO CPROIO EQU 4k 26 Sys RO
CPROXIOS IN 2k 4 Dir RO CPROXIOS INP 2k 2 Dir RO
CTC A86 4k 22 Sys RO DENTRY A86 26k 193 Sys RO
DENTRY OBJ 4k 21 Dir RO DIR A86 38k 302 Sys RO
DISKHDR EQU 4k 27 Sys RO DPBS EQU 2k 13 Sys RO
DPBS TBL 36k 288 Sys RO DSKCOMN EQU 2k 3 Sys RO
EXERROR EQU 2k 2 Sys RO FD A86 56k 446 Sys RO
FD OBJ 6k 37 Dir RO FLAGS EQU 2k 16 Sys RO
FPPY EQU 6k 36 Sys RO FUNC56 A86 10k 66 Sys RO
FUNC56 DOC 4k 20 Sys RO FUNC56 OBJ 2k 7 Dir RO
GLOBAL EQU 6k 47 Sys RO HDISK A86 2k 8 Sys RO
HDISK OBJ 2k 12 Dir RO HDISK2 DVR 24k 177 Sys RO
HDISK3 DVR 16k 120 Sys RO HEADENTR A86 24k 188 Dir RW
HEADENTR OBJ 4k 31 Dir RO I3BOARD EQU 2k 16 Sys RO
I3INT A86 8k 49 Sys RO I3INT OBJ 2k 6 Dir RO
INITENT A86 20k 160 Sys RO INITENT OBJ 6k 36 Dir RO
INTVEC A86 8k 49 Sys RO INTVEC OBJ 2k 6 Dir RO
LIST A86 2k 15 Sys RO LIST OBJ 2k 3 Dir RO
MAKEDOS A86 16k 120 Sys RO MAKESYS BAT 2k 2 Sys RO
MDISK A86 8k 50 Sys RO MDISK OBJ 2k 6 Dir RO
MEM CON 6k 48 Sys RO MPMDISK EQU 6k 36 Sys RO
MSNULL A86 2k 6 Sys RO NP8087 A86 4k 26 Sys RO
NP8087 OBJ 2k 6 Dir RO PCINT DVR 4k 18 Sys RO
PCKEY DVR 18k 133 Sys RO PCMODE A86 8k 53 Sys RO
PCMODE OBJ 2k 7 Dir RO PIC A86 8k 52 Sys RO
PIC EQU 2k 12 Sys RO PIC OBJ 2k 5 Dir RO
PIN RSP 4k 25 Sys RO QVT102 A86 24k 178 Sys RO
RESKEW A86 4k 30 Sys RO RESKEW OBJ 2k 5 Dir RO
RTM CON 8k 60 Sys RO SERDATA A86 22k 163 Sys RO
SERDATA EQU 6k 38 Sys RO SERDATA OBJ 2k 14 Dir RO
SERIN A86 10k 74 Sys RO SERIN OBJ 2k 6 Dir RO
SEROUT A86 10k 76 Sys RO SEROUT OBJ 2k 7 Dir RO
SERVAR A86 12k 83 Sys RO SERVAR OBJ 2k 7 Dir RO
SHELLEND A86 2k 1 Sys RO SHELLP A86 130k 1034 Sys RO
SHELLP EQU 6k 45 Sys RO SHELLP H 2k 10 Sys RO

Total Bytes = 760k Total Records = 5409 Files Found = 80
Total 1k Blocks = 710 Used/Max Dir Entries For Drive K: 103/ 256

0A>sdir l:
07:36:42 A:SDIR.CMD

Directory For Drive L: User 0

Name Bytes Recs Attributes Name Bytes Recs Attributes
------------ ------ ------ ------------ ------------ ------ ------ ------------
SHELLP RSP 32k 241 Sys RO SSBOARD EQU 2k 9 Sys RO
SSINT A86 4k 19 Sys RO SSINT OBJ 2k 4 Dir RO
STATLIN A86 12k 81 Sys RO STATLIN OBJ 2k 10 Dir RO
STATLINE A86 6k 43 Sys RO STATLINE RSP 2k 5 Sys RO
SUP CON 10k 69 Sys RO SWITCH A86 2k 16 Sys RO
SWITCH OBJ 2k 3 Dir RO SYSDAT CON 4k 27 Sys RO
SYSDAT LIB 2k 9 Sys RO SYSTEM LIB 4k 20 Sys RO
TDRIVE A86 8k 58 Sys RO TERMDEF EQU 4k 22 Sys RO
TICK A86 12k 84 Sys RO TICK OBJ 2k 7 Dir RO
TMPDIR LIB 42k 323 Sys RO TMPMENU LIB 60k 469 Sys RO
TMPPC A86 2k 5 Sys RO TVI925 A86 24k 177 Sys RO
TVI950 A86 24k 179 Sys RO U2651 EQU 2k 7 Sys RO
VCCB A86 22k 173 Sys RO VCCB OBJ 4k 27 Dir RO
VSCPC A86 142k 1136 Sys RO VSCPC OBJ 28k 211 Dir RO
VSCREEN A86 22k 176 Sys RO VSCREEN EQU 2k 15 Sys RO
VSCREEN OBJ 2k 16 Dir RO VSCZ19 DVR 62k 496 Sys RO
XIOS SUB 2k 11 Sys RO XIOSP CON 42k 326 Dir RW
XIOSQ CON 42k 326 Dir RW XLATTBL EQU 2k 3 Sys RO
Z29 A86 24k 183 Sys RO

Total Bytes = 662k Total Records = 4986 Files Found = 37
Total 1k Blocks = 640 Used/Max Dir Entries For Drive L: 64/ 256

0A>

thanks again

Larry G

>necro-posting
>turned up what appears to be some cdos 4.1 backup 5" floppies that may have something interesting on them
>Index of /bits/Compupro/5inch
>and also a copy of FORTH-32 for the ns32k

OMG thank you Al Kossow for the necro heads up in this thread. I've brought up Altairz80 simh once again running CompuPro Concurrent DOS 3.1 to read these Concurrent DOS 4.1 5in images and this is a gold mine !!
I don't know if this will apply to the CompuPro model 10 but EVERYTHING is in here for my CompuPro 8/16 to fully build CDOS 4.1. Again, I had to boot CDOS 3.1 to read these CDOS 4.1 disks as K: and L:

That particular set of CDOS 4.1 disks is for building an OS that runs on CompuPro's S100 systems. It won't work for the CompuPro 10.

The file archive you referred to, however, happens to include a ZIP file that includes a set of CDOS v5 system disks for the CompuPro 10. That is what I provided to the original poster to the discussion, which allowed them to access their machine after being locked out by the password set by it's previous owner. The ZIP file also includes the ENTER.CMD utility and HARDDISK.DAT file which are required to reformat the hard drive.

As a comment to an earlier post--MP/M assigned user areas to users by default. User 0 was reserved for "system" files. There were some CP/M 3.0 programs that used user areas extensively.

Back