• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anybody want an RS6000 or eServer?

MikeS

Veteran Member
In Toronto, looking for a home:

IBM RS6000 Power Server 520, Type 7013, Model 26-10855

IBM eServer Type 8480-4AX

I'm confused. These seem new and expensive? I'm interested in obtaining an RS6000 at some point. What are you looking for it? Any idea what it weighs? Are you coming to Austin anytime soon? j/k

Well, the IBM names and numbers can be confusing...

Here's a little bit about the Power Server 520 Type 7013:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=114012&tstart=-5

Not exactly new, but probably expensive in its day; apparently one of the first RS6000s from around 1990.
Quote: "Unless you are running a museum or are retired :) throw the machine in a rubbish bin and "get a life".

The eServers are a little bit newer and probably a little more useful.

No, sorry, I'd love to visit Austin but no immediate plans... ;-) Why don't you rent a truck and come up to Toronto?

The 520 is a marvellous old beast .. desk side (not desk top), old and slow. One of the original models of RS/6000. I was the sys admin for a brand new one in 1991/1992 that had an IBM 3151 terminal as a console, and a load of other serial connected terminals through the building. At the time it was a very fast machine, and ground breaking too.

Don't even THINK about it, buddy.......
You mean don't think about giving them to someone else? Not to worry, old friend, two of the eServers have your name on them; you'll love them, they're much smaller (well, a little smaller) than the one I gave you the last time. Clear a space for them, see ya soon!
;-)

You mean don't think about giving them to someone else? Not to worry, old friend, two of the eServers have your name on them; you'll love them, they're much smaller (well, a little smaller) than the one I gave you the last time. Clear a space for them, see ya soon!
;-)

You mean the TWO you gave me last time? Since I didn't know which was which, I ended up putting the parts one on the bench and the working one under the bench and, at about 150 pounds each, that's where they are staying LOL

You mean the TWO you gave me last time? Since I didn't know which was which, I ended up putting the parts one on the bench and the working one under the bench and, at about 150 pounds each, that's where they are staying LOL
Ah yes, forgot about the spare parts machine; well, then you'd like these; they're only 53Kg ea.
Kind of a shame, but since there's no interest the RS/6000 is going to the dump; I'm giving the eServers another week.

I would love to take that RS/6k off your hands, but the shipping alone would be way out of my vintage computing budget at the moment.

Nothing wrong at all with AIX.

These systems are within reasonable driving distance. As I'm curious, I might think of getting one in the very remote hope of a successfull quest for a copy of OS/2 PowerPC Edition ...... However, this dream needs a reality check first - are the hard and soft compatible?

Oooh.. quick! Do it! ;-) If I was close I'd certainly pick it up but alas I'm a bit on the wrong side of the country for the commute and shipping to me is likely a few large bills. Wish I could grab it though.

OS/2 PowerPC is only compatible with actual PowerPC "IBM PC Power Series" computers. It is not compatible with even PowerPC RS/6000 machines. And most certainly not with POWER series computers.

It was meant as a "desktop" OS, during IBM's attempted push of PowerPC into the desktop space. Even the RS/6000 machines that are functionally identical to the PC Power Series machines (such as the RS/6000 860 notebook, a slight re-work of the ThinkPad Power Series design,) don't run OS/2 PPC. The RS/6000 hardware only ran AIX.

See http://pages.prodigy.net/michaln/history/os2ppc/index.html for more info on OS/2 PPC. (I have been unsuccessful in getting OS/2 PPC to run on my ThinkPad Power Series.)

Since there was no interest the RS6000 and the x-series 205 e-servers have been scrapped.

I did keep some cards and parts however in case someone needs one some day, including the following RS6000 cards:

4 - Memory cards (53F3091, 8 x 68X6271 modules on each card); AFAIK these are 4M x 40 bits.
2 - 16 port RS-232 cards (59F3824) and one matching 16 port distribution panel and cable.
1 - SCSI I/F card (31G9729)

Also tape drives from both, P/S from e-server, etc.

Last edited:
did the RS6000 have separate cpu board or was it all on the main board?

pity I never saw this post :-(
On the main board AFAIR. Yeah, pity; I hung on to it as long as I could, hated to see it get trashed. Guess the cards are no good to anybody so they'll go soon as well.

Sucks when a few people want machines that are just not economical to ship. There are a few machines I had shipped when gas was much cheaper (and so was shipping) that I probably would not get today because of the costs of shipping.

I often end up spending 50/50 on machine and shipping when I buy a machine these days..

I have some RS6000 docs around here from a place I used to work. They didn't have the server anymore, so the docs were up for grabs. If anybody wants them I can dig 'em up (some CDs too with software).

Back