• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone got a DMP11 (M8207-YA) or DMP11 ROM images? / DDCMP usage

vaxorcist

Experienced Member
I'd like to be able to update my DMR11 to a DMP11 (enable DDCMP multipoint operation).
According to the print sets (DMR11: MP00911, DMP11: MP00795) the only difference between the two is the set of ROMs.
The DMP11 has got the following ROMs:
- 23-057F4
- 23-058F4
- 23-059F4
- 23-062F4
- 23-063F4
Who would provide the ROM images or lend the ROMs for imaging?

Another question:
Who is still (or again) using DDCMP for work or fun, no matter whether with simh, any other simulator, or real hardware?

Regards
Ulli

My pdp-11/84 has a DMP11 board (M8203) and a DMR11 board (M8207-RA) in it. Never used it as I don't know how it was used
and likely only have one end anyway. I have no idea what this system was used for when in use. I have no way of imagining any
ROMs though.

Sorry, I should have been a little more precise.
When I said "DMP11" I meant the DMP11 communication processor.
The M8203 is the identical line unit for both the DMR11 and the DMP11 communication processors.
So what is needed is the M8207-YA resp. the ROMs thereof.

But thanks anyway for your kind offer.
Just in case your M8207-RA is at hands:
Could you please look at it and note the numbers (23-xxxxFy; x&y are numbers - sometimes the 23- is left off) on the socketed ICs?
I would like to know whether there were different versions of the DMR11 ROMs.

Thanks

Ulli

Very interesting - no DEC part numbers on the ROMs!
DEC used to label its ROMs with part numbers - how should the field service have identified ROM versions otherwise?
I think the missing part numbers and the differing IC producers are a hint that an update had been applied to this DMR11, probably not by DEC service field personnel.
If you had a possibility to image your ROMs yourself, I would ask you for the images, but sending your ROMs to Germany is too much effort.
If there isn't anyone in your neighborhood who can do it, then leave the ROMs where they are.
Thanks again!
Ulli

That was why I posted the picture. What you asked for part numbers I was not seeing. :) I don't know of anyone down here being a DEC person that could image
these ROMS. So are all those sockets chips the ROMs?

That was why I posted the picture. What you asked for part numbers I was not seeing. :) I don't know of anyone down here being a DEC person that could image
these ROMS. So are all those sockets chips the ROMs?

The 24-Pin Signetics N82S181, AMD AM27S151, and National DM87S181 are all 1Kx8 three-state output bipolar PROMs.

The picture you posted is like looking at the test chart at the eye doctor. The small print at the bottom of the parts is the version information. They all have @DEC81 or similar copyright dates. The part version information might be something like 103F3, 128F3, 101F3, 100F3, 222F3, 104F3. You should be able to read those more clearly in person.

Just went with what I saw in the pdp-11 Field guide using the number off the card as reference. It's not something I will likely use as I have no way to connect it to any other system. Interesting to know what it is though.

The picture http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/unibus/firmware/DMC11/DMC11_b.jpg shows "M8207" on the bottom left.
The ROM DEC part numbers at http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/unibus/firmware/DMC11/DMC11_f.jpg (hard to read even if I use my glasses) are:
Bottom right, downwards:
- (23-)103F3
- (23-)128F3
- (23-)101F3
- (23-)100F3
- (23-)127F3, left thereof: - unreadable
That is (except for the (23-)102F3) exactly what the ROM images are named.
A look at the print set shows that those ROMs (except for the ?guessed? (23-)102F3) are the ROMs of a DMR11.
And the module number says the same - its a DMR11 and not a DMC11.
The DMC11 PCB layout is completely different to that of a DMR11/DMP11.
DMC11 and DMR11 were "software compatible", maybe that caused the confusion.
The DMC11 did not have any "F3" ROMs; DMC11 MP-00076 shows only "A9" ROMs in several revisions.
I will read the ROMs of my two DMR11s and compare them with the images at bitsavers.

Ulli

Well I was just going off the labeling of the firmware ROM dump on bitsavers at:
which indicates the files are for a DMC11.

But as you indicate the picture enclosed has an M8207 in the etch, which is for DMR11/DMP11.
So a bit of an inconsistency there it appears.

Maybe the DMC11/DMR11 firmware PROMs are compatible, IDK.
The DMR11 print set BOM lists the 100/101/103/104/127/128F3 parts for the -RA version.

The hardware installed checklist on top does not show anything but the CPU and memory. There is an M8203 and and M8207 board connected by a ribbon cable. And a round cable coming off one of the boards. The M8207 board has "RA" stamp on the top area of the board. So I believe at one time this was a DMR-11. Someone may have converted it for who knows what reason. I don't know how to use it or even test it. So it just sits there. If someone would like both boards let me know.

also, FYI
With help from Mark Pizzolato, I added support to SIMH for my DDCMP sync line interface ("DDCMP framer"). This is a USB device, built around a Raspberry Pico, that implements the lower layers of the DDCMP synchronous line protocol. It allows SIMH (or PyDECnet) to talk to real machines that use those interfaces.

No idea. I'd likely have to put in one of those green handled jumper NPG cards to fix up the interrupt chain. Don't want to break my machine. I would assume these boards or at least one uses that?

Back