• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone have a lead on reasonably priced external SCSI chassis/enclosures?

VERAULT

Veteran Member
So I am down to my last two external SCSI CD-rom drives (and these are maybe 1x or 2x). Only sure one of them works.

I do however have a stack of at least 10 internal SCSI cdrom drives in various speeds. Does anyone have any external scsi enclosures to sell or know where I can purchase them at a fair price? It would need a 5.25" opening for a cdrom as well as a power supply; preferably an IEC connector rather than a brick.

Let me know.

Mick

Thanks Don, Looking for more something akin to what would pair up with an Apple IIgs or a Mac. Thats a pretty beefy SCSI enclosure, it would be wated on a single CDROM.

No idea if this drive works, but it's cheap:

Thanks I reached out to the seller.

I was hoping to just find plain jane ext. enclosures as I have plenty of SCSI CDrom drives.

It is always cheaper to buy an external scsi CDRW drive and then put your own drive in then to buy an external enclosure. If the drive included works that's an added bonus.

Pretty much every Mac lot I used to snag back in the day had an external SCSI CDRW in there. Go look up one now on ebay and they are $100+ a pop or much more for an Apple CDROM drive. External zero footprint (perfect fit under a Mac compact) SCSI HD enclosers were also dirt cheap and common back then but no more.

I think it was on Vogons somebody told me that IDE drives that work and are under 120GB are hard to find cheap which made me question reality as I pretty much trip over stacks of them in my basement. I mean under 250MB maybe but some on. This was during a thread about people hacking SATA SSD's onto very old systems where the IDE (pre DMA) bus was a major bottleneck.

SCSI stuff is getting expensive but IDE drives definitely aren't hard to find. There's a guy on ebay selling brand new Seagate 20GB drives for $25 OBO. I bought several and they all scanned with no errors.

I ended up buying the NEC one at a best offer price. If the internal drive does not work I will swap it out.

That is a stop gap issue though as I would still like to make some external SCSI cdroms with enclosures. I am hoping someone may find this thread down the line and send me a PM if they have an external enclosure to sell they dont have a use for.

Back