• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone have experience with Access Matrix?

slimbob

Hello,
I recently bought an Access Matrix portable computer from around 1983. Overall it is in relatively good condition and complete considering that it was clearly well used. With the printer and handset modem on top it has a certain funkyness that appeals to me.

Unfortunately no software or documentation came with the machine so I have been Googling with relatively little sucess for more information about this machine. The best info I have found is from the DigiBarn Website and some information on a creampuff machine that was donated to them (theirs has the name Actrix Matrix, which is the same computer, renamed).

When turned on, the screen comes up with the date Jan 01 1983 and a blinking curser, the printer seems to initialize, and the floppies take turns scanning continuously (annoying). I first thought this might be an indication of a problem, and it could be, but I remember that my Amiga floppy drive would constantly scan for a disk until you put one in. Since I don't have an OS disk I will just hope that is the case.I know the computer used CP/M 2.2, but I don't know if there is a particular version that I need.

If anyone has any information on this computer, documentation or software that they would be willing to share I would be very appreciative.
Thanks,
slimbob

CP/M bootdisks are all different from one another, and you will need one written specifically for that machine. You could drop a request in the newsgroup: comp.os.cpm. Someone there may be able to help.

--T

Last edited:
Yeah, might have to try comp.os.cpm - if your new to Usenet
system, you can sign up for a Google Groups account & start
posting here which takes you straight to the comp.os.cpm
group.

A pity we can't help really cause this is quite a popular
issue when it comes to machines & CP/M, Don Maslin used to
handle this to a tee - unfortunately he's since passed on.

I'll ask Gaby what's happening.

CP/M User.

Thanks for the input. I found an article from 1984 evaluating the Access Matrix and it goes into quite a bit of detail about its operation, features, etc. The floppy scanning is normal, so I feel that with the correct OS disk and some luck I should be able to get this machine operational again.

I have posted a request for a bootdisk on comp.os.cpm and have my fingers crossed. I will let you know if anything turns up.

Thanks,

slimbob

I have two Access Matrix computers - actually one is an Access and the other is it's younger brother the Actrix. Mine were both operational last weekend at a local Vintage Computer Club exhibition here in Brisbane, Qld Australia as part of a larger event called the Next Level Festival (nextlevelbris.com.au) .

Unfortunately the Access blew up about 4 hours into the second day but the Actrix made it through the whole event. Both machines had their power supplies rebuilt by a fellow collector and I was really impressed to see that all my old disks were in reasonably readable condition.

Part of our reason for doing the exhibition was to get a chance to duplicate our disks and also create images of them onto a PC then CD-R to preserve them. We are also hoping to pull the ROMs from our old CP/M machines to help preserve them too.

I am happy to help any other Actrix/Access/Access Matrix collector out there with boot disks or software.

In the next few weeks I will have all my original boot disks for the Access online in downloadable image formats so that anyone can download them and push them out to fresh floppies using a PC with a 5.25" 360K floppy drive attached.

If anyone would like more information please feel free to visit my temporary placeholder page at www.kaypro.net - theres an email address link there you can use to contact me off-list.

Grant

I'd like to bump this thread because I'm also looking for the boot disks for this machine. If I can find them by this weekend then we can use this computer as a prop for a local con.

TIA

I'm sure I can find a way. I actually have the manuals for all of those programs too I think. Unfortunately they're not in good shape. Do you want me to PM you my email address?

Back