• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone know a good mid-2000s laptop?

ScanDisk

Veteran Member
I am currently on the hunt for a good laptop from the mid-2000s.

I want to be able to play games from the early-mid 2000s on it.

I did come across a Dell Precision M70 on ebay, with good specs, like a 2.1ghz Pentium M, 2Gb ddr2 ram, and an Nvidia Quadroflex 256mb GPU. However the problem with it is that the native resolution of 1900x1200 is far too high for my liking.

I am looking for something with a more standard resolution for the time, more like 1024x768, or maybe just a bit higher but not much.

I understand that it may be hard to find a "higher end" laptop with a standard resolution, so that's why I am asking others as well.

If anyone has any ideas, or knows any models that seem to fit the bill, it is appreciated.

Last edited:
I am currently on the hunt for a good laptop from the mid-2000s.

I want to be able to play games from the early-mid 2000s on it.

I did come across a Dell Precision M70 on ebay, with good specs, like a 2.1ghz Pentium M, 2Gb ddr2 ram, and an Nvidia Quadroflex 256mb GPU. However the problem with it is that the native resolution of 1900x1200 is far too high for my liking.

I am looking for something with a more standard resolution for the time, more like 1024x768, or maybe 1 or just a bit higher but not much.

I understand that it may be hard to find a "higher end" laptop with a standard resolution, so that's why I am asking others as well.

If anyone has any ideas, or knows any models that seem to fit the bill, it is appreciated.

You didn't mention your budget, if any, but screen resolution shouldn't be much of a problem. I'm typing this on a brand new HP notebook and a right click in 'display setting' gives me 800 x 600 on up to 1366 x 768 with a few other settings in the middle. You can always Google the specs before you commit.

I was able to load Windows 98 SE and get all but the smart card reader working on a Dell Latitude D600 (even Wifi), it's likely the same drivers would work for a D800. For storage I'm using a Kingspec 64GB PATA SSD... it's a very fast Win98 machine, with 32MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 discrete graphics. 1024x768 XGA resolution (though there was an optional higher resolution 1400x1050 display available).

I'm looking more for something like 1024x768 native resolution, because I find that with higher resolution panels, running them at lower resolutions results in things looking fuzzy, because of the improper scaling.

I'm still pretty loyal to the Thinkpad T30. It runs XP professional fine, it's happy as much ram as you can feed it, you got a 2.4ghz P4M and a dedicated Radeon Mobility 7500.

I'm looking for something with at least 128mb of vram, though 256 would be even better.

Average RAM for mid 2000's laptop was about 3-4 GB. 128-256 MB is pretty skimpy. You can run XP on 64-128 MB but 1.5 GB is recommended. W7 is going take about 1 GB minimum. What do plan to run in terms of software?

He meant VRAM video RAM for the GPU.

Thinkpad T61's started having 128MB GPU with the T400 being the first with discreet switchable GPU cards with 256MB VRAM from what I remember.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I will take a closer look at the T61, T400, and the Dell D800.

I did find one for sale on ebay, not far from me in Toronto, (a T400) but unfortunately it only has integrated graphics, so that's a no go. I guess I will have to make sure to look specifically at each laptops GPU and VRAM before buying.

Back