• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone know of Generator repair forum?

VERAULT

Veteran Member
Because we were without water and electricity for a couple days in the single digits with a broken generator and where I live they dont give you the courtesy of an appointment or call back I thought I would just repair it myself. I have a backyard Generac generator that is clicking when I attempt to start it. No starter , and the clicking seems to be coming from under the control panel. Anyone know a site that hasa forum dedicated to fixing these machines?

Mick

Dang Mick! That is rough.

My generator is not as nice as a generac, it's just an old gas powered loud as all hell generator. I've been looking into getting a battery bank system that can hook into the same inlet at my breaker panel for the house, because 95% of the time my power would be out, the weather outside is near unbearable (Read: Snowing like crazy), so running it is a major pain anyway. And obviously it can't be in a sheltered area at all.

I hope you can find some luck / help. Be safe.

Mine isnt nice by any means. Came with the house. But honestly after several bad dealings with "electricians" finding someone knowledgeable and skilled on these things is a crapshoot. And yeah I would love to invest in some solar panels and a power bank but time and money.. etc etc. I just need to fix this thing so were not stranded again. sleeping on the floor in the living room for 2 nights in front of the wood stove has already done a number on my back.

You should be able to handle most repairs without a problem. Clicking without the starter engaging sounds like either the starter battery is toast (most likely), or the starter is not receiving power due, or the starter is faulty. Once you get the starter motor working, standard IC rules apply (fuel, air, spark, etc). If the actual generator portion is giving you grief later, you can debug that with a volt meter and an ohm meter.

This is entirely fixable at home, but do take care with the proximity to the live circuits - they can be lethal, and are live even when the generator isn't running (if you have an automatic transfer switch). Be careful.

battery is fine, Interstate battery, only a few years old putting out 13.8 volts in freezing conditions. Its been on the charging circuit the whole time. I have already tried numerous batteries. The clicking is not the starter its coming from the control panel.Im thinking relay. The starter never engages

Yup. Check the start relay, check voltage across starter itself. If you have voltage at starter, ensure it is full 13.8. If you see lower voltage at starter (like <12 volts), starter is likely getting power (does it get hot?) and might be dead. If you have full voltage at starter, starter might be open. But clicking sure sounds like a relay is trying to do something.

Nothing that would affect the issue you are describing. My generator accepts multiple fuel sources.

But your engine is not running yet, so let's get to the point it is turning over....

Check the voltage on the starter when you initiate the start. If you don't have voltage there, track it back (follow the wires) to the relay (or solenoid) that provides power to the starter, and check for +12 there.

Problem is I live in an area that is relatively wealthy and pretentious. LAst time I had an electrician out here to talk about replacing a post and lighting system in the backyard he was just throwing big numbers around. When I asked granular questions about the price, he became defensive and said "People just generally pay me what I ask" This is the mentality out here.

Im going to get more info off my generator and see what kind of documentation I can find online.

Anyone know where the plate with all the info is usually located?

Problem is I live in an area that is relatively wealthy and pretentious. LAst time I had an electrician out here to talk about replacing a post and lighting system in the backyard he was just throwing big numbers around. When I asked granular questions about the price, he became defensive and said "People just generally pay me what I ask" This is the mentality out here.

Im going to get more info off my generator and see what kind of documentation I can find online.

Anyone know where the plate with all the info is usually located?
Might want to call GENERAC customer service.

Depends on the model, but usually under the top cover, on the right hand side.

Might want to call GENERAC customer service.
Couldnt imagine how much that would cost.. but its sure a last resort.

Depends on the model, but usually under the top cover, on the right hand side.
Thats where the control panel is..... I will poke around and take come photos. Today should be a brisk 24 degrees F.

Last edited:
Couldnt imagine how much that would cost.. but its sure a last resort.

Thats where the control panel is.
Call the corporate office not the local retailer. I have a GENERAC portable and they can answer some of the basic questions.

Tech Issues forum over at:

Those guys eat and breath generators, or "gensets" as they call them.

1672250962770.png

Does your Generac have a control panel inside the house or under the lid to tell you of faults and cycle the monthly test or is it a "dumb" panel on your model? I have this feeling it's locking out but usually it will tell you when it fails a monthly self-test.

Last edited:
My first Youtube video.. YAY!!!!

I am such a hypocrite........ 🤮

Ok now that you saw whatIMG_20221228_140421.jpgIMG_20221228_140431.jpgIMG_20221228_140437.jpg its doing its time for photos!
IMG_20221228_140145.jpgIMG_20221228_140124.jpgIMG_20221228_140137.jpgIMG_20221228_140159.jpgIMG_20221228_140348.jpgIMG_20221228_140406.jpgIMG_20221228_140413.jpg

Back