• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone really good with KiCAD PCB routing?

Well, in modern equipment, how many devices use GALs?

Apparently enough for them to keep making them up until now in through-hole, surface mount, and PLCC flavors.

Obviously they're not going to be in any new designs, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if there's still industrial and military equipment that was designed forty years ago that's still slowly falling off the ends of assembly lines stuffed full of GALs.

I can see a world 20 years in the future where few of the new engineers know anything about working with discrete TTL packages. Pretty much the same way that discrete transistor logic was headed when I started out.

Anyway, you can make your own parts and you can take advantage of doing that to your hearts desire. It is just that you can't use the name 7400. At least I've not found a way.
Dwight
I think you can... Make a library with your custom parts. Put it in the list of libraries first. KiCAD searches in the order of the list and uses the first match.

joe

Or just use project-specific libraries. It is easy enough to copy one you have used (and / or made) earlier to a new project.
If you need more hands to rute the pcb for you @Chuck(G) , I can have a go at it.

Also remember feedthrus are space hogs so take advantage of IC pins for these whenever possible. ( I mean expensive in space ).

I don't do this because for me it complicates board bring-up. I like to put in the minimum parts to being the power supply up, get the power LED to light for example, and once I am happy that I have reached that safe harbour add more components in stages. When components pins are used as vias you need to fully stuff the board to test it the basics which I find frustrating.

are you etching boards form double sided copper or having them fabricated? through hole component footprints should be cooper plated inside the hole just like a via on fabricated boards.

Back